Earth Years

Matt assumed from the smaller frame and higher pitched voice that this stranger was a girl, but for all he knew, it could be a twelve-year old boy. He just hoped that by the time he took Y/N back to the rest of their friends, they'd finally take off the goggles. His curiosity was poking at every little piece inside of his head.

"There you are!" Hunk cried out, racing towards Pidge. As the yellow Paladin made his way towards her, the person ran off at lightning speed into the crowd. Matt's gut wrenched when he lost sight of his new acquaintance, if he could even consider them that.

At the front of the crowd, a tall person pulled the cloth down from their mouth and rose their goggles. It was a man. Just like one from earth. Like a wave, everyone else in the crowd did the same and Matt tried his best to catch a glimpse of the person he'd saved but they were lost in the crowd.

The entire crowd was a mix of human-like aliens and humans that could be from no place other than Earth.

"Woah!" Pidge exclaimed, beginning to shake hands all over the place. "Are some of you from earth?"

Matt would have done the same, introducing himself to everyone just like Pidge was, but he was lost in frantically searching for the person he'd just met. He had felt this strange, automatic connection with them and wanted to talk with them some more. The kind of connection that caused him to feel a strange tug in his gut which told him this person was worth getting to know.

The tall man at the front with pepper grey hair smiled down at Pidge. "We are human. Fifty or so years ago, a group from earth settled on the planet you saved us from to raise experienced peace keepers. The true Aturdirie took us in."

"So you guys are like a secret instillation of peace ninjas?" Lance questioned. "But from where? How?"

The man raised a brow at Lance and his expression hardened. "A Garrison mission gone wrong 50 years ago. I'm sure they are no records of it back on Earth that were ever made publicly accessible. They abandoned us. We were lucky enough, by chance, to be picked up by the Aturdirie and allowed to settle with them."

"Uhhh, okay." Keith grumbled. "But some of you aren't fifty years old?"

"No." The man glared at Keith. "Some were born on Aturdir, others sent from the Garrison."

"Recently?" Keith pressed. "The Garrison has sent people out here?"

"Yes." The man confirmed. "We regained connection with the Garrison about twenty years ago, something I am sure you also know nothing about. Since, they have been sending us the odd person."

Shiro broke his way into the conversation. "So you're saying the Garrison knows about alien life?"

"No, not at all." The man almost laughed. "They believe we have survived out here alone. We have chosen to keep it a secret. The mass panic we knew it would have brought to Earth if we had said anything--we couldn't say anything."

"Wh--" Shiro wanted to ask more but he was cut short.

"You all are very welcome here in the Castle, human and Aturdirie alike. Our Paladins will be sure to make you comfortable and give you everything you need. If you require medical assistance, follow me and Coran to the med-bay. Those who seek water, a bed, and food please follow Pidge, Hunk, Keith, Lance, and Shiro. Matt here will help anyone if they have questions." She looked to Shiro in apology but he just nod back to her softly. People were getting restless, they couldn't stand around forever asking this man questions.

Not actually being a paladin, Matt wasn't surprised by the job he'd been given. While a good quarter of the people followed Coran and Allura away, the other three quarters left following the Paladins. Just before Matt was going to leave, he caught one person still standing in awe at the massive castle.