Suit Up

"We're sorry to inform you..." Shiro cleared his throat and dart his eyes between his fellow Paladins while trying to address the crowd of Aturdirie in front of him. "That, Y/N, your bravest fighter," He cringed at his own words. "Passed away last night. One of Zarkon's sentries invaded the ship and she sacrificed herself in order to protect everyone here."

    Hardly any remorse could be seen or heard from the crowd. Only whispers hung in the air. 

"So, we have her ashes here and the goggles she wore in all of her battles. We truly are sorry, and she will forever be in our hearts." Shiro added, with a severe lack of confidence in his words, as he handed off the ashes to the man who stood at the front of the crowd. Shiro was a terrible liar.

    "She's not dead." He dropped the wooden box and goggles, which shattered on the floor, ashes going everywhere. Keith quickly snatched the goggles form the ground and held them defensively.

    "How could you do that!?" He shout, pretending to actually be hurt. "She died for you!"

    "She's. Not. Dead." The man snarled as he stepped towards Keith, shoving his chest.

    "Woah, man, I know a dead person when I see one, and she was one." Lance glanced at the ashes and back to the man.

    "Aturdiries!" Allura called out as she entered the hall. "We have arrived. Though it saddens me, it is time for your departure. My paladins have other matters to attend to."

The man standing before Keith backed away and looked to Allura. "We are not leaving without Y/N."

    "Allura! There is no Y/N! She died last night fighting a century!" Shiro tried to signal to Allura what was going on. They all really should have talked to her about this plan beforehand. 

Everyone turned to look at the Princess, and in their distracted state, Shiro shuffled over to Keith. "You go take Y/N to the red lions hangar. Keep her there until we get rid of these guys."

    Keith nodded and sprinted off down the hall. Lance went to chase after him but Shiro gripped his arm roughly. "Lance I need you here."

    "You're just gonna let Keith skip out and not me?" Lance whined.

    "I trust him." Shiro muttered.

    "Y/N!" Keith whispered forcefully, banging on Matt's bedroom door. "We gotta go!"

    "What happened?" She asked, finally opening up the door and stepping out cautiously.

    "They're not buying it. We need to get you somewhere safe." Keith grabbed her arm tight and started off down the hall.

    "We're safe in here!" Matt called out after the pair, but they were gone before he could try and convince them otherwise. So, he went back to his computer and continued to lock each and every door possible between Y/N and the Aturdirie.

    "Where'd the hothead go?" The man leading the group turned to Shiro and asked.

    Shiro stood tall in aggravation. "He was too upset and had to leave. The girl who saved his life is now dead, and he still blames himself."

    "If she was dead." The man rolled his eyes. "Now, if you'd please hand her over, we'll leave peacefully."

    "You know—" Lance broke out, all eyes from the crowd landing on him. "You guys are renowned for your kindness and mercy or whatever, right? So why have you been keeping her like a prisoner and only using her for missions where you might die?!"

  "Is this true?" Allura asked. The man stiffened at her voice. 

    "No." He snapped. "We keep her because no one else wants her. She chooses to take those risks."

    "Well, we want her." Lance furrowed his brows and lowered his gun sadly. For someone to say that she was being kept in pity was disgusting, and he knew she deserved so much better. Like here, on the ship, with the rest of the Paladins and her brother.

    A smirk crossed the mans face. "Ah, so she is still alive."

    That was when Lance knew he screwed up. A fight broke out in the hall of the castle, Shiro hand to hand with the man.

    "LaaannnncEE!" Keith hollered, punching the wall beside the tele-screen which he watched the fight break out from. Immediately he went to ensure the hangar doors were locked tight, his Bayard at the ready.

    "What happened?" Y/N asked.

    "Lance practically told them you were still alive." He said in aggravation, running a hand through his dark hair.

    "They never would have fallen for it anyways. My fake death just bought us time." Y/N shrugged, sitting down on the floor.

    Keith sighed. "You're going to stay, right?" He asked hopefully. Y/N actually seemed like someone he could get along with.

    "I want to." She nodded. Then, the ship jolted. They'd landed on the planet where the Aturdiries would be dropped.

    The pair moved back to the screen and now Allura had the leader of Y/N's group on his knees, yelling at him. The princess obviously cared about Y/N and wanted her to stay just as much as the others. "GET OUT NOW!" She screamed.

    Everyone seemed to follow her orders except for one boy. Y/N's training partner. "Will we ever see her again?"

    "Only if she comes to you." Allura tried to state calmly as she waved him off. "Tell your people that we thank them for all they have done, but it is time for us to leave."

    The boy nodded and jogged off of the ship, the door closing behind him. Before they knew it, a loud knock came at the hangar doors.

    "Yeah, come in!" Keith hollered out and pressed a button, opening the large metal doors.

    A frazzled Lance raced into the hanger. "They're gone."

    "Thanks, Lance. I'm here because of you guys." Y/N smiled and a kind of tension left her body. She didn't have to worry now about whether or not she was going to be dragged away from Shiro and everyone else here.

    "Here to stay, right?" Keith asked, almost doubtfully. He was used to people leaving and wouldn't be surprised if she did to.

    "To stay." She smiled lightly.

    "Paladins! To the meeting room!" Coran nearly screamed through the intercom.

    Keith and Lance both looked to Y/N with a raised brow before taking off. She laughed lightly and trailed right behind them, the group racing down the castle halls at an unsafe speed. Matt joined on part way through their race, running beside Y/N. There was a certain lightheartedness in the air, especially since Y/N had just been freed from a prison she hadn't even really realized she was being held in. She'd been freed from the grasp of selfish people and put into the hands of a new family who truly cared about her. A family that wanted her.

    As they entered the control room, Shrio, Pidge, Hunk, Allura, and Coran stood before one of the screens with grim faces. On the screen was an alien, crying and holding a few of its friends.

    "Please help us, Princess!" They cried through the shaky, glitchy video footage. "Zarkon is here!"

    "Suit up, Paladins." Shiro signalled to his fellow teammates. "You too, Y/N."