You're Late

Breakfast had gone as normal. Lance and Keith bickering, Pidge and Hunk doing chemistry experiments with their breakfast, and Shiro looking all but impressed with his fellow paladins.

"So, what's the plan for today?" Matt finally asked. Coran jumped up excitedly to suggest god knows what, but Allura was the first to speak.

"I thought Pidge, Y/N, and I should spend the day together!" Everyone looked to the Princess slightly confused. "You know... because we haven't really had a chance to talk."

Allura tried to smile kindly. "And we have a lot in common..."

"Like what?" Pidge muttered.

"We're all girls! Don't you think we should spend some time together?" The princess asked. After Y/N arrived, Allura really took notice to how close all of the boys were. Yet, she, Pidge, and Y/N didn't seem to be on that same level. Though Allura was technically the other girls' superior and almost sub-parent here in space, the paladins felt more like friends and family to her. People she wanted to share a closer bond with.

"I'm hardly a girl. Take Lance with you." Pidge suggested tiredly, jabbing at rover who spun circles around her head.

"Oh, Pidge, that doesn't matter!" Allura tried to use the most convincing voice possible. "It will be fun!"

"Alright." Pidge agreed, standing up with a huff. Allura jumped up a little too excitedly, motioning for Y/N to stand also. "If anyone needs us, just radio!" The princess nearly squealed before dragging Y/N off out into the hall.

"Matt's gonna be grumpy since Allura stole his girlfriend, so, uh, watch out." Pidge warned. Her brothers mouth fell agape with both a feeling of betrayal and embarrassment. As Pidge ran away, Matt refused to look up because he could feel the rest of the boys' eyes on him. Especially Shiro's.

"You humans have such a fickle way of communicating." Coran shook his head and left the room before some fight broke out. Even after Pidge and Coran left, the room was silent. Matt's face was flushed a tomato red, and he knew it.

"GIRLFRIEND?" Lance finally hollered at the top of his lungs in disbelief.

"Not. Girlfriend." Matt snapped back, trying to hide his face in his hands.

"Then why'd Pidge say so?" Shiro stepped closer to Matt, causing the auburn haired boy to nearly crumble away in anxiety.

"Because, it's Pidge! She says things like that to get on my nerves! Just ignore it." He said defensively.

"Well, judging by the way you two were acting this morning... it sure looked like it. Unless the cameras in the red lion had a glitch in them, seemed like you two were pretty close." Keith said smugly, leaning up against one of the walls. Truth was, there were no cameras in the red lion. Keith had just mentioned it to throw a curve ball into the conversation. 

Shiro had steam coming out of his ears and Lance looked as if he were about to faint from disbelief. Of all people, Matt had gotten to her? He couldn't believe it.

"WOAH WOAH WOAH!" Matt began to let out panicky breaths, his hands stretched out before Shiro in defence. "Okay before anyone gets any ideas--We almost died and--I don't know we just ended up like that! I didn't know if we were dead or--"

"What ever happened to checking for a pulse?" Lance crossed his arms and furrowed his brows.

"Ah—" Matt stuttered. "Well, I—uh..." He gave up in trying to defend his case. No amount of information would change how Shiro felt about this situation anyways.

"What happened anyways?" Shiro asked, his expression softening a little.

Matt sighed and reluctantly told Shiro the whole story. When he repeated it, he came to realize how harmless it really was. Plus, he'd done everything in his power to try to save Y/N, eventually going down with her once she fell. He hadn't abandoned her.