Not So Alone

"You know," Matt stifled a laugh. The trip they were about to embark on back towards the castle was going to take a while, and he couldn't stand the silence. "Shiro used to talk about you all the time. Everyday, actually. He worried about where you might be, what mess you'd gotten yourself into, or where in the universe you might be."

    Y/N cringed at the thought. "I don't even want to know what embarrassing stories he's told you."

    "Hey," Matt smiled, reaching for her shoulders. "He's told me a lot of great things about you."

    "Hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it." Y/N shied away, something Matt began to realize she did quite often. For someone so strong and brave, she sure had her moments of true timidness. He was sure he didn't look any more put together in her eyes, with his messy hair and crooked smiles. The ship jolted and Matt automatically reached for Y/N who nearly toppled out her seat.

    "How is your leg feeling?" He asked, pointing to the blue and purple mess of a once mangled leg.

    "It's fine." Y/N tried to push away the topic as she reached for the video com system. She powered it up, and on the screen appeared Lance and Keith.

    "Y/N!" Lance cried. "We lost you for a while back there!"

    "I know. The storm was pretty bad." She smiled weakly, but now that Pidge was back, her attention turned to the burning, aching pain in her leg. Her wince didn't go unnoticed by her friends.

    "How are you holding up?" Lance tilted his head in question, sadness and concern plastered on his face. "Is everything ok?"

    "Yeah, everybody's okay." Y/N looked to Matt and Pidge. Yet again, she dodged telling everyone how she felt, something Matt took notice to. But he already knew she was like this because Shiro had told him about her vulnerability dodging ways.

    "You don't look fine," Keith raised a brow. "When you get back, let me know if you need anything."

    Lance's mouth fell agape and he hit Keith's arm. "Let us know if you need anything!" He motioned to himself and then Keith, displaying that her care was a group effort. Or, it was just an excuse for him to spend more time with Keith. 

    To Y/N's right, Matt stiffened a little, being drawn into his thoughts. Now, Lance and Keith's bickering was beginning to bother him. Y/N laughed at their antics and the noise of it sent his mind backwards. He hardly knew Y/N, despite how close he felt to her purely from the stories Shiro told whilst they were locked up in the Galra prison. He would be lying if in all of his time in the Galra prison, he hadn't thought about her everyday. Which no, felt weird. Back then she was something in his imagination that he could think about to avoid thinking about his reality in the prison. But now she was real and sitting beside him. He, in a way, had fallen for this person in his daydreams based upon the stories he heard. Funny, how in a dark time like that, a girl Matt had only known through Shiro's words helped to keep him fighting. And now, here she was, right beside him.

    Out of impulse, Matt shut off the video com. The girl raised a brow, looking to Matt slightly confused.

    "Saving energy," He smiled sheepishly. "So... is Y/F/F still your favourite food?"

    Y/N sighed. "I'm going to kill him for everything he's told you." She threw her face into her hands in embarrassment. It was true, she and Shiro had been through a lot, but that was all before she was an Aturdirie, and was just a reckless kid. "And, yes. It is."

    "Like I said, none of it was bad." Matt giggled. "But I would suggest if you ever try attaching rockets to the back of your bike again, wear a helmet."