Flares

"Nice space garbs." Pidge tugged at her brothers clothes.

"Alright everyone," Shiro began speaking before Matt could passive aggressively dishevel his sisters hair. "We don't have much information on how many Galra there are on Olkarion, nor do we know what kind of reinforcements they have. So, do not engage unless I say so."

Y/N rolled her eyes when Shiro looked right at her. "Y/N, Matt, and Pidge will be the first to head down since the green lion is equipped with cloaking. They'll let us know when it's safe to join them. Once we're on the surface, we do everything to stop Zarkon from getting to that weapon before it's finished. Every second is valuable, everybody got that?"

Everyone nodded.

"Do anything stupid, and I'll kill you." Lance pouted and jabbed Y/N's shoulder.

"Ditto," Keith raised his brows, standing beside Lance. "But, I think Matt would kill her first if she did." He poked the blue paladins shoulder and pointed to the brown haired boy who looked pale and nauseous.

Never before had Matt been so edgy about a mission. Ever since Y/N was taken by Zarkon that day, he'd become high-strung and skittish at the thought of facing the Garla empire. Not just because Y/N could be taken again, or worse, but so could anyone else. Pidge, Shiro, Allura, or any other of his friends. There were so many things that could go wrong, and though he used to ignore them, all he could do was think about them.

"Matt, relax." Shiro placed a firm hand on the rebels shoulder. "Everything is going to be alright, trust me."

The rebel believed that until he, Y/N and Pidge had scanned the planet and found a safe place to land. Pidge seemed uneasy and was scrambling to figure something out. There was an eery silence that made shivers run up Matt's spine, and just outside of the forest they hid within, he could see the large cannon the Olkari were rushing to finish. They all looked completely exhausted, yet terrified at the same time.

"The signal is blocked! I don't understand!" Pidge slammed her fist into her chair.

"Hey, Pidge," Y/N jumped up from her seat beside Matt, sending him a confused glance before latching onto the back of Pidge's chair. Seeing her standing there, gripping the back of the chair was a familiar sight. It reminded him of the day they'd rescued her.

"Slow down, okay?" Y/N tried to calm Pidge but it failed.

"I can't! I've tried everything. Someone or something is intercepting our coms." She pointed to the screen before her eyes which was a jumbled mess of radio waves and numbers that Y/N didn't quite understand.

"So, let's send a manual one." The girl suggested.

"Elaborate." Matt raised a brow, catching Y/N's glance.

"The other rebels would have flares, right? Let me go to them and send one up. Shiro will know what it means."

"Y/N, that's too dangerous." Matt objected quickly.

"How? All of this is dangerous." Y/N walked towards the brown haired boy with her arms crossed. "No Galra in sight, and if there are, they don't know we're here. I'll run through the trees and get to the base without anyone noticing. Then, once the flare is up, meet me there."

Matt was reluctant to agree, but he knew it was the best option. Besides, of all the other options, it seemed the least dangerous. "Alright. Pidge and I will cover you incase anything happens."

"You'd better." She scoffed lightly, a smile breaking on her face which caused the exact same to happen to Matt.

"See you soon." He nodded, tossing her his staff which he had hidden beneath this seat. The moment Y/N caught up, her eyes lit up and she was out the door in the blink of an eye.