I Won't Leave (FINAL)

"Hey," Matt began as he stumbled his way over tree roots, Y/N walking far more gracefully at his side. "Did you ever see me at the Garrison?"

Matt could tell that Y/N was trying her hardest not to let a smile creep up on her face. She went to speak a couple of times, but stopped herself because she was about to break into laughter.

"What?" Matt furrowed his brows.

Y/N let out a deep sigh and tried to collect herself. "Yeah, I did. Just once, though."

"Really?! When??" He looked to her in excitement, interested to hear about when she'd seen him and what she'd thought of him at the time. It was probably during one of the exams where most of the school was forced to watch, or while he gave presentations.

Y/N kicked a couple of rocks at her feet. "Do you remember that day before Christmas break when Iverson made your class play dodgeball?"

Matt pondered for a moment, shifting through his memories. "Yeah! And it turned out to be totally awesome because someone broke in and set off the sprinklers so everyone was slipping around—"

"That was me." Y/N snickered, a slight blush on her face.

"That was you?" Matt gaped, dropping his bag of wet clothes and shaking Y/N's shoulders. "THAT WAS YOU?!"

"Mhhm—" Y/N smiled mischievously and raised her chin proudly. "I was also the one who hit you in the head with the dodgeball. Sorry about that."

"You broke my glasses."

Y/N looked a little shocked. She didn't know that had happened. All she saw was the dodgeball fly at Matt's head and send him to the floor. "Hmm. I must have a good throw."

"Well, what'd you think of me when you saw me?" He shifted his weight, almost a little nervously.

Y/N thought for a second. "Umm—I wasn't sure what to think of scrawny, sixteen year old Matt Holt. I guess you were cute..."

That dampened Matt's pride a little. "Cute?" He whined. "What about badass, or unequivocally impressive?"

"Maybe that applies now, but not three years ago." Y/N ruffled his hair teasingly before taking off through the woods again. Matt scrambled to pick up his things and catch up. "You've come a long way, Holt."

Matt took that as a serious compliment and continued to walk with Y/N through the woods. He did his best to recover his memory from that day, and with time it became a little less fuzzy. Y/N still had the devious smirk she wore on her face that day she rifled a dodgeball between his eyes. She still had the same fiery, lively eyes. She still had the same unwavering personality, and made everyone around her happy. Back at the Garrison, it was a little more difficult, and pranks were what made people happy. But, here with the team, she could just be her warmhearted self and have the exact same effect on everyone as a slippery, impromptu dodgeball game would have.

With time, the pair found their way to the tallest tower in the city, and on the top floor, the rest of the team was there to welcome them.

"Listen, love the whole 'parters in crime thing' you've got going on, but don't you think matching outfits is a little extra?" Lance pointed between the two teasingly.

"We crash landed in a lake. So, unless you'd like us wearing our other clothes that smell like a deceased fish..." Matt stepped closer to Lance, beginning to open up the bag of clothes which had an awful smell concealed within.

"MATCHING CLOTHES IT IS!" Lance clamped his fingers over his nose, gagging. Everyone else in the room broke into laughter.

"Thanks for your help today, you two." Shiro wrapped his arms around his sister and held her tight. "Couldn't have done it without you."