It's Me You Want

Matt didn't get much sleep. He had spent most of the night talking with Y/N over the radio, and then the rest of it just thinking about her.

He was struggling to keep his head above the waves, though. Over the past while, he had been completely devoted and focused on the rebel forces. Now, he hardly had the vacant space in his mind to think about Voltron and how the safety of the universe was hanging on by a very thin thread. Part of Matt's mind was telling him to avoid and ignore Y/N all together, to stop her from being a distraction. But, deep down, he knew he couldn't do that. He'd just have to try to stop thinking about her when she wasn't around him.

When morning finally came, Matt groggily made his way to the kitchen. The first thing he wanted was to find Y/N. But, sure enough, the spots at the table surrounding her were taken. She laughed with Pidge and Hunk, all while tossing a bundled up napkin across the table with Keith. Lance tried his best to intercept each toss, but failed.

"Hey, Matt! Catch!" Y/N hollered. Suddenly, the small, harmless ball of napkin seemingly came careening towards Matt a million times faster than it actually was. He scrambled to catch it, but if fell through his hands and to the floor. Catching seemed to be among one of his many missing talents.

"Nice." Keith grumbled, rolling his eyes and turned back to Y/N and Lance.

Matt begrudgingly took a place at the end of the table beside Coran, who presented him with the typical food goo. Great. Just the best thing to be given this early in the morning, he thought. Down at the other end of the long table, Y/N was still being her carefree self.

Even with her slightly messy hair and sleepy eyes, Matt still found himself entranced. He'd never been the kind of person to care how others looked. It was their mind, their heart, their character that mattered to him. He cared more about the things they said and did over any physical trait. Besides, being the smart person he was, he knew nothing in the universe was perfect. No person, no equation, no part of the universe came without imperfection. For all he cared, the smallest features that someone might dislike about themselves only made them special.

"MATT!" Pidge screamed at the top of her lungs, finally catching the boys attention. Nearly jumping out of his skin, he dropped his spoon and looked around until he locked eyes with Pidge.

"Let's go, dumbo!" She demanded.

"Go where?"

"To the control room! It's an emergency!" She gave up on trying to explain and simply dragged Matt from his chair impatiently.

When the pair of siblings made it to the control room, the first thing that fell into Matt's vision was Y/N, cold faced, fists clenched. Her eyes were glassy as she stared blankly at the screen before her. Matt and Pidge fell in behind the rest of the group to witness what was being shown on the bright screen. The boys chest tightened at the sight of what was unfolding on the screen finally settled in. An entire planet, being drained of life, the Galra empire carelessly stealing all of the quintessence and reducing it to a barren, grey corpse. Not just any planet either, it was Aturdir. Y/N's home.

Not sure what else to do, Matt pushed through the small crowd and grabbed Y/N from behind, resting his chin on her head while holding her tight. Y/N released the tension in her balled firsts and grabbed Matt's arms which wrapped around her, letting out a sharp breath.

"How could they do that?!" Pidge snapped. "Aturdir is like the Balmera! It's living!"

"That'a just why Zarkon is taking its quintessence. It has so much energy to it, it's like draining three planets at once." Coran said quietly, his eyes unmoving from the image.