One Of Us Now

"Here you go," Y/N smiled lightly and tossed a clean t-shirt to Matt before sitting down on the floor. Without even really meaning to, Matt struck up a conversation and remained with her on the training deck floor for quite some time. Matt found himself able to talk with her freely for hours. With her, it was like anything could be made into an interesting topic. Debating which flavour if ice-cream was the best? Check. Taking bets on how long it'd take before Lance and Keith ended up together? Check.

Once both of them agreed it was probably time they head off to bed, the castles intercoms exploded with chatter. "Everyone to the control room!" Shiro sounded out.

Matt sucked in a deep breath and looked to Y/N with a crooked smile. "Shall we?"

Everyone else obviously had the same plans to head off to bed as Matt and Y/N did because they did not look too pleased to be called in for a meeting. Matt could have cared less though, at least saying goodnight would be less awkward now. Before, he wasn't sure what he was going to do. Walk Y/N to her room? Run away because he was too shy? He had no idea. Even though he felt a lot more comfortable around her now, there was still an underlying uneasiness that made his stomach lurch anytime he saw her. And after everything that had happened in the kitchen...he didn't know what she thought of that.

"We're sorry to have called you this late, Paladins." Allura apologized. "We have received a distress signal from Olkarion. Some of the rebel fighters have already arrived to hold off Zarkon's fleet, but they need our assistance. He is there to destroy one of their newest pieces of technology."

"What kinda tech are we talking about here?" Lance asked.

"Un-hackable tech," Shiro scratched the back of his neck. "The Olkari have found a way to integrate both metal and biological materials to create a strong weapon that cannot be shut down. The only way to do that is to destroy it manually. Therefore, it is an extreme threat to Zarkon, and he knows it."

"Why'd they make it in the first place if they knew Zarkon might find out about it?!" Keith snapped. Hunk put a hand on his shoulder in an attempt to calm him down.

"Because, if they could have completed it in time, it would have protected their planet from any future attacks or invasions. It took longer than they had anticipated." Allura lowered her eyes in disheartement.

Pidge shuffled around a little. "So, if we hold off Zarkon's fleet long enough for them to complete it, we could stop him?"

Coran stepped into the conversation because no one else seemed to be speaking. "Theoretically, yes! He would have to be close, but with one well placed blast from the cannon, his ship could be obliterated in seconds."

Everyone seemed to look to one another hopefully. It was like they'd all made a silent agreement. "So we'll do whatever it takes to get that canon up and running." Y/N said.

After a long discussion, the team was sent off to bed. By late morning tomorrow, they would be at Olkarion, fighting for a chance to destroy Zarkon once and for all. Though it was terrifying, the Paladins knew the planet well and were comforted to know there were already rebel fighters stationed around. It would be difficult to sleep, but the Paladins knew they needed to.

Y/N, despite knowing she should sleep, still remained awake. 

"A paladin needs her sleep, you should go to bed Y/N!" Coran cried out as he danced around the large, cavernous room, picking up odds and ends. That guy never seemed to give himself a break.

"What, and miss this view?" Y/N stifled a laugh, pointing up to the open glass dome above her head. One of Arus' moons shone off of the ocean, filling the girl with the slightest sense of peace. Arus was a beautiful place, and she feared the day she'd never come back to it. Ever so slowly, Y/N had begun to fear dying. On Aturdir, she didn't care. It was her job to risk her life. But now, she had people she cared for and didn't want to leave them.