Take It Easy

Keith and Y/N had to pass by the med bay in order to get to Coran's room. However, to their surprise, the dim lights from within the room were already on, and voices could be heard from inside.

There stood Matt, completely white knuckled as Coran seemed to be carefully explaining how to operate one of the rooms many machines. It was no surprise that in such a vast castle as this, there was no shortage of incomprehensible technology. However, that extreme complexity didn't always make things better.

Especially for Matt. "So I press this one?" He asked, pointing to a small blue button on a tiny device no larger than his arm.

"NO!" Coran screeched, but it was too late. Matt sent a beam of blue light into the floor, leaving a small smoking patch of scorched floor. Nervously, he giggled and stood stiffly.

Y/N looked to Keith and cringed.

"The red one, Matt! The red one! Are your eyes incapable of differentiating between the spectral colours?!" Coran yelped, pointing between the two different buttons.

"I'm not colour blind!" Matt retaliated.

Before Coran could blabber a response, Y/N and Keith made their presence known at the doorway.

"Ah, good!" Coran threw his arms in the air and smiled wide. "Matt here just learned how to operate the tissue repair machine! You will be better in no time!"

Swiftly, he took Y/N from Keith's arms and set her down on the table beside the smoking patch of floor. Then, he quickly scurried out of the room, dragging Keith along with him. Only moments passed before he could be heard trampling back down the hall to close the door and then run off again.

"I hope you weren't trying to heal the floor." Y/N laughed lightly, looking suspiciously to the still smouldering piece of floor.

"Uhm—right, yeah, no. I wasn't. Just a mistake." He muttered.

"I saw the whole thing."

"What?" Matt's face lost all colour and his body tensed.

"Don't worry. I also know you now understand how to use it properly." Y/N admitted, which made Matt smile. "At least, I hope."

Matt huffed and rolled his eyes before reaching for Y/N's leg. He took off her shoe and carefully positioned the small device over her leg. "Please don't kill me if this doesn't work." He pleaded.

"It can't get any worse anyways." Y/N shrugged and reclined her body back until she was resting on her elbows.

"Ok—" Matt let out a deep breath and pressed the red button. At first nothing happened, aside from the light escaping the device seemingly melting into her skin and beginning to repair the tissues inside of her leg. But, then, Y/N jolted back, a sharp whimper leaving her lungs. She bit her lip and kept a stoic face, refusing to falter in the face of her friend. It was just a little pain and she only needed to hold on for a few minutes. As Matt ran the device up and down her leg, the pain only grew worse. Everything inside of her began to burn and she wanted to scream at the top of her lungs, but she forced herself not to. Matt could see the pain on the girls face, and without hesitation he reached down to grab her hand with his free one.

"It'll probably be the worst here," Matt warned, now approaching the most damaged looking part of the leg.

To his demise, he was right. The moment the light began to melt into the darkest part of the bruised leg, the hand he held curled around his so tight he himself almost screamed in agony. "Just hold on, ok?"

Seconds seemed like hours for Matt. Every flinch which came from the girl made it feel like the world was falling apart. But, when it was all over, he knew things would be fine.  Her body relaxed, now completely devoid of energy. He took a few minutes to put away the supplies, letting Y/N come back to her senses.

"I was going to suggest you go get some sleep, but everyone is already at breakfast..." He said softly, looking to Y/N. For a second, his mind didn't register what was happening, but Y/N was no longer there. He blinked a couple of times, assuming his eyes were just fooling him, but they weren't. She had disappeared?

"MATT!" She screamed from the hall, and frantically he stumbled out into the long corridor of the castle. He found the girl sprinting full speed up and down the hall without a trouble in the world, a wide smile on her face. "YOU FIXED IT!"

"No way..." Matt grinned. Sure, he knew the Altean's had some amazing technology here, but no way had he imagined it was this good. "That's so awesome!" Matt then found himself picking the girl up and spinning her around in circles. He set her down, but still had to hold her back from breaking off down the hall, excited to show her friends her now healed leg. She'd be thrilled to prove to them she was now well and able to be a valuable member on the next missions.

"Okay... but seriously, take it easy." Matt laughed lightly, tugging at Y/N's arm. "Lets go get breakfast."

"Mhm." Y/N nodded happily and walked off with Matt down the hall toward the kitchen. On the way there, she pushed and shoved playfully at him, laughing and smiling the whole way. How she could brighten up his day through such small actions, he wasn't quite sure. But she was good at it. Too good.

"Looks like you two had a rough night." Keith muttered as the pair entered the kitchen. Matt immediately shot a forewarning glare to the red paladin to which Keith just returned a smug smile.

"Mhmm..." Shiro mumbled suspiciously, nearly knocking over his breakfast.

"Matt fixed my leg!" Y/N piped up, motioning down to her leg. Any sign of bruising had gone down substantially and she had no problems navigating on it.

"He fixed it?" Lance questioned. "Is he a wizard?"

"Close enough." Matt dragged Y/N to sit dow at the table. "The Alteans have some brilliant technology."