Chart The Stars

"He'd better not," The silence was broken by, of course, the one and only, Lance. "Because if he did, we'd be searching the whole universe for you."

"Gee, thanks." Y/N rolled her eyes and laughed, throwing an arm over Shiro's shoulder. She was proud of the one piece of family she had, being the pilot of the black lion and all.

"Good thing I have a good network with all the rebel forces already, I'd find you in no time." Matt winked as he followed Lance into the room to sit on the couch across form Y/N and Shiro.

Despite the other two boys dramatic entrances, Keith entered silently and slumped down beside Matt. He looked like a grumpy kid who had followed his friends only because he had nowhere else to go.

"You guys really don't leave much time for a private conversation, do you?" Shiro sighed. He had gotten out what he really wanted and needed, but it would've been nice to talk a little longer with Y/N, dig a little deeper into the things that bothered her. But, that just wouldn't be today.

"Whatever," Lance flicked his wrist. "Well, we just came to say goodnight, right guys?"

"Right!" Matt agreed, smiling. Keith just cracked his neck in response.

"Use your words, Keith." Lance pouted.

"Goodnight." The raven haired boy muttered hardly audibly and tucked the knife he fiddled with away.

"See you in the morning." Shiro smiled as he ruffled his sisters hair, standing up. Y/N went to smack at him but he was already out of arms reach, scurrying away. Y/N fell backwards in defeat. Her legs sat straight up, feet to the ceiling against the back of the couch while her head hung over the edge, hair grazing the floor.

Matt snickered, slightly confused at the girls awkward position which she somehow seemed comfortable in.

Lance yawned and stood up. He walked over to the girl and poked her nose. "See ya in the morning guys." He waved sassily, walking off. For the first time, he didn't seem too worried about sticking around to see what the other guys had to say or do.

"I should head off too," Matt muttered. But before he left, he stopped by Y/N and handed a small piece of paper to her before running off.

"Let me guess, no sleep for you, Kogane?" Y/N asked.

The boy let out a deep, compressed breath and tossed his head back. He was obviously annoyed by something. "I screw up, cause problems, am not always present when I should be... but Shiro doesn't treat me the same way he does you."

Y/N tilted her head in question and furrowed her brows. Keith rarely showed that much emotion, but he was upset, and so Y/N threw her legs over her head and jumped up, sitting down beside the red paladin. "If you think he hates you, you're beyond wrong. Shiro has a weird way of showing he cares..."

"Like how?"

Y/N pondered for a moment. "He's hard on the people he cares about. He'll try and make them better than himself if he can. Somedays it can seem like he hates the people he cares about the most, but he really just wants to make sure they're always making the right choices, and will be able to fend for themselves when they need to..."

"Sometimes, it just takes a while to realize what he's doing is all in good nature. He doesn't want to see people get hurt, so he thickens their skin." Y/N tried to catch Keith's gaze, and she could see his mind spinning.

"Oh," He sighed. "Thanks, Y/N. I never thought about it like that."

"You're his brother, Keith. Tied by experience. You're a strong team."