Chapter 13

You feel your eyes close and sleep over powers you.
--(Dream)---
Cold laughs and gwauffs were shared around the circle. You look at your mother again. Her eyes were glassy with fear. She took a deep breath and squinted her eyes. Everybody fell to the ground groaning in pain.

"GO! (Y/N)! GO!" She screams at you, desperation in your voice. You try to jump over one of the men withering in pain trying to get out of the hold of bloodbending, but instead you landed on his face, smashing his nose in.

You feel like your going to barf when you see the gore. Your mother screams for you to go to the Tucan Armadillo Anteater Flamingo Zoo.

---(Reality)---
You wake up with a jolt. Kauo was shaking your arm and saying your name in a worried tone.

"What? What? What's wrong, Kauo?" You look around wildly.

"You were mumbling and shaking in your sleep. I thought you were having a bad dream." He looked like he was about to break down.

The innocence of this child was going to kill you. Your heart wrenched with guilt. "No, don't worry. My mom always told me I fidget in my sleep." You lied. His face tells you that he doesn't believe one ounce what you just said but he will act like he does.

"Well, we arrived and a woman wants to talk to you about why we are on this ship." You both slide off the bail and walk outside. A tall, beautiful, dark skinned woman was standing outside with her arms crossed over her chest.

Her face was contorted in a deep frown. "What makes you think that you can board this tradeing ship?" She shot off the moment you made eye contact.

Embarrassment sizzled in your cheeks and ears. "I'm sorry, ma'am. We really needed to get to the South Pole as fast as we could. And this was the last ship that was in the harbor leaving for it." You apologize with a racing heart.

Her hard stare forces you to look down at your feet. "Since I see you are a truthful lady, I'll give you a warning. But the next time you do that, it will be jail time for you." She walks away, shouting a command to two people moving the cargo off of the ship.

"We got lucky!" Kauo laughs. You chuckle along with him.

"Come on, Kauo. Let's go find you a teacher." You start walking forward but he doesn't follow you. The cold bit at your body, the lack of winter clothing was the cause.

"But your my teacher. Why would you need to find me one?" The wind blew and his bangs brushed upward, exposing his forehead. You pick him up and walk to the nearest public building.

"Did I say you? I meant to say us." You boop his nose with your pointer finger. He gives you a confused look. "I'm not a master waterbender. So, I came here to learn... more." You quickly make up a lie. You came here so Kauo can start a new life. You were going to go back to Republic City and go back to the tea shop.

Tezin is going to be worried. We don't have any money! Who is going to let us in? He is going to freeze if he doesn't have a coat!

"Is everything okay?" Kauo's voice penetrated your train of thought. You look at him in surprise.

"Why wouldn't it be?" You fake a smile. He gives you a look that calls you out on your crap.

"Like, we have no money, I'm going to get hypothermia. Should I go on?" He gives you high level sass. You give him the same look.

You try to make something up. "I think I have some money..."

"It's official, we are going to die." He sighs dramatically. You give him a light chuckle. You deny his claim and set him down. You had know idea where to go and who to ask about what. The stress was overpowering. Your body was shaking and your breathing was fast.

Kauo went over to the toy section and had abandoned you to figure out the problem by yourself. You walked up to man, diving into a false confidence. "Sir, do you know where I can borrow some money?" You questioned loud enough so you didn't have to say it again.

He turns around, smiling. It instantly melts into a disgusted frown. "I'm not gonna help a low life like you!" Anger boiled through your veins. This guy is so rude! The man stomps away before you can say anything. You look around for another person.

You spot a lady with long brown hair. Her child stares at you with indifference. Your heart was pumping with anger and anxiety. She turns around for her child and screams. "STAY AWAY FROM MY CHILD, FILTHY RAT!" She pulls water from a hidden pouch and water whips you in the cheek.

You fall, holding your face. The was more noise coming from the toy section. Kauo! You quickly rush back to the child you had temporarily kidnapped. Kauo was crying as a sobbing child was being dragged away by a father. "I told you that child is a bad one."

Everything slows down as you take in the insults.

"What are they wearing?"

"Where are their parents?"

"Why are they so dirty, Papa?"

"Stay away from them, they are bad news!"

"Wow, that's embarrassing. They have hay and dirt all over them."

"Her hair is a mess! If I had hair like that, I would kill myself!"

"Yah, same here!"