Chapter 22

You take a step back, caught off gaurd by a earth disc. You bend water to push back the earthbender two spots, sending them to the last area. Bolin and Mako were battling their own oppenets.

The Xiao Yao Zebra Frogs are livid at the newcomer, you, for not being muddled by the unfamiliar experience. You had quickly gained composure before the match started, so you were at ease. You were used to diving into unfamiliar situations and making the most logical of it. You had to, it was always life or death. Your mother had taught you how to deal with it.

You trip and fall backwards after the earthbender hits you in the leg, you land on zone two. The crowd goes wild and Mako and Bolin look back to check on you. Your heart gives a painful squeeze when you lock eyes with the firebender. Time slows down for a second and you couldn't breathe or move.

You notice a movement where the two other opponents were. The firebender from Zebra Frogs punches a flame in slow motion. You bend water through the grate and pushed him back, he stumbles and falls onto his back. Everything speeds up as you stand, ready to gain more land and win.

The Zebra Frogs were furious at the upper hand and brutally fight back. You and your team, caught by surprised by the sudden step up, stumbled back all the way to zone three. "Is everyone all right?" Mako winces from the beating. Your about to respond but you see an earth disc hurtle at your face.

Everything clicks to slow motion and you feel your self bend a huge sheet of water from the grate in frount of you. The water crystallizes to ice and the earth disc shatters silently into dust. You see Bolin and Mako turn their shocked faces slowly.

Your senses comes back in a rush and you take a step back in shock of your own actions. The crowd was silent and the referees were opened jawed. Shiro Shinobi, the radio announcer, was the first to speak. "The water bender on the Fire Ferrets had bended the water to become ice in order to block the disc. As you know, it is illegal in the pro-bending rules, to bend ice on the ring." As he states his words the referees slowly come back to their own senses.

The red fans flared and the crowd went wild with screaming questions. "(Y/n)! Why did you do that?!" Mako was suddenly livid.

"This is the end!" Bolin stomps his feet as best he could in the small space. You meet Mako's fiery gaze with a glare.

Anger, guilt, and embarrassment coursed through you. "It was just one mistake. An instinct tactic." You try to say boldly but tears threaten to spill into the oversized helmet. You had dropped the eye contact when you started speak, coming out timid and small.

"We might lose the match because of this!" He waves his arms to the ceiling, showing clear frustration. You take another step back, not connecting with the ground. Crap. You forgot about being in the last zone. You let out a shout, free falling backwards into the air. You reach out to grab something to break your fall.

Unfortunately, your hand snags the firebender's arm, bringing him down roughly. Fear clawed at stomach and chest. For what seemed like the millionth time, time slows down. You feel yourself pulling into Mako's hard chest. You feel his hot arms embrace your body. You bend the water below you to soften the blow of the landing.

———————————-
Mako POV

Time had stopped. Why did I yell at her like that?! I'm such an IDIOT! Her flailing hand had snagged my arm, taking me with her when she backed up. She had pulled me closer. I'm pretty sure (Y/n) could feel my heart beating, that's how hard it pounded against my ribs. I wrapped my arms around her frame, closing my eyes, waiting to hit the cold water.

Her right hand leaves its position from my back and she flicks her wrist. I open my eyes just in time to see a funnel of water catching us and slowly setting us down in the pool. We float there silently. She was on top of me, gripping me tightly, tense.

I look down at her (h/c) head. I poked her softly. "We landed." I state out, embarrassment cutting me off short. The audience was screaming and Bolin was the only one left in zone three. The ice was taken down and (Y/n) was on a hold until the Knock Out round. She moves her head up and quickly releases me.

Her face was red and tears made her (e/c) glossy. I curse in my head and start swimming after her. "Wait, (y/n)!" She ignored me and went to the lift. "(Y/n)! I'm sorry.  You can hit me or what ever so you won't be angry any more. I spoke out of term and I'm sorry." I try to apologize but she crosses her arms and looks away. I sigh and turn away.

Bolin kept his ground well, he actually gained a zone back. I start to walk to the water container to get a drink. Something hits my leg and I trip, landing on my face. I groan as I get my scattered thoughts back together. I look up to see (Y/n) smirk before hiding it with a frown. I sigh and give a short chuckle. "I deserve that." I stand, fixing my helmet.

——————————-
(Y/n) POV

Serves you right! You're going to have to do a lot more than a Sorry and hit me back deal. You hide your smirk with a frown and look away. Your mind suddenly shoots back to the night where you attempted to run away because of your stupid flash back from your haunting past. Some one made me turn in the different direction....

You sigh shaking your head trying to pay attention to the earthbender fighting for his life. Why am I suddenly thinking of this?

A/n:
Sorry for the late update, I had to think on how to make the story progress forward and I also had to be at a recital.

Hopefully next Saturday I will have a lot of inspiration and no cut backs. :)

Sorry for any errors.