Chapter 38

(Y/n) POV

You wake up early, despite being out later than Korra, you seemed like you got enough sleep. Now dressed in Air Acolyte clothing, everybody is standing in front of the fan circle. You stretch out your arms and legs as the airbending children  go through with ease. "(Y/n), would you like to go next?" Korra asks you with a yawn, clearly wanting to avoid the task at hand.

Your heart races at the thought of performing in front of everybody again. What if Korra overheard me and Tenzin talking about the bison?! "Um, yeah-" You chuckle stiffly, too anxious about the new problem at hand. How about you tell her your a waterbender and not an airbender, you idiot?!

You walk up to the circle. Tenzin sends a sharp wind through the boards. They spin elegantly. You let out a breath and ready yourself. Be the leaf! You step into circle, spinning along, just as—or even more— graceful than the wooden rectangles.

A smirk tugs on the corners of your lips as you step out onto the other side. "Great job, (y/n)!" Milo beams. "You were exactly like a leaf!" You bend down to his height, sporting a full smile now.

"If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be this good." You pat his shoulder sisterly like. Jinora gives you a fake glare. 

"Hey! I was your mentor! All he did was say: Be the the leaf." She feigns an angry pout. Everybody laughs. Korra's turn was next. Out of your peripheral  vision, you see Korra giving you a look you could not quite describe----only it was a bad one. 

You ignore it and the deep seed starting to eat at your stomach with anxiety. She definitely knows! How could I be this STUPID?!  After an hour, the training ends. You take the first moment to escape the group and head up back to the mountain--where Jinora took you on the hike. 

Your body has gotten used to the trek. You were hardly breathless by the time you got to the top. At any given point in the day, the scene was beautiful. You wish you could come up here at night, the stars would be just a hand's reach away. 

You sit down in the grass, your hands holding you up behind your back as your legs stretch out in front of you. You think about what has all pass and gone. You being laid off, not being able to see the two brothers in what seems like ages, Korra possibly finding out about your stupid lie--and most importantly: Tarrlok's invitation to fight the Equalist. 

——(Flash Back)——

"Oof. Sorry—" you start to apologize casually but immediately went formal. "I'm sorry, sir." In front of you was Tarrlock, one of the councilmen of Republic City. You bow as he chuckles roughly.

"It's okay." He smiles. "Are you the stand in for the Fire Ferrets?" He gives you a questioning look. You shrug and slightly blush, thinking back to Mako.

"Yes, but it was just once when Hasook was sick." You were short worded, not wanting to sound arrogant at an official. Tarrlok just nods.

"Are you interested in fighting the Equalist?"

Short worded to tongue tied. Why the heck would I want to fight the Equalist? I'm not even a good fighter--Nope, wait, I am a good fighter.... BUT I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT!  You start to stutter. Saying no will result in looking like you don't care about the situation at hand. Saying yes will result in fighting. 

"Obviously it is voluntary, but I will be willing to pay you a--certain--amount of yuan for you to join my force. A powerful bender like yourself should be able to use it for a good cause." He lingers on the word certain, observing you if you would take the bait of the bribe.