Chapter 39

(Y / N) POV

You wake up in your bed. You let out a terrified gasp, not fully aware of your surroundings. The last thing you knew was bawling your eyes out on the shore. It was like waking from a bad dream, stuck in the position even though you could move perfectly. 

No one was in the room with you. "Who could've brought me in?" You whisper to yourself, sitting up in the wrinkled blankets. The open window brings in the fresh afternoon breeze from the bay. "What time is it anyways?" You push yourself out of bed. 

Your limbs were sore, throat parched, and heart broken. The only thing that couldn't hurt you now was a nice cup of calming tea. No matter the ailment, your mother made sure you drank tea. 

—— (Flash Back) ——

"(Y / N), stop crying. You need to shorten your nails." Your mother scolds you over a silly thing to cry about. But you finally got to grow them without chipping them in ugly angles. Your mother brings out the scratchy red file. 

You obeyed her and offered one hand for her to work on. Tears silently slid down your cheeks, witnessing the murder of your beautiful nails. "Long nails are just inhibitors to work. It is also dangerous. Do you want to poke your eye while you sleep?" Her work was quick and almost done with the first hand. 

You shake your head no, a little scared. You always used your hands as an extra pillow at night. A few minutes later and your mother was done with filing all of your nails. 

"I do want to say that I'm proud of you of growing such beautiful nails." Your mother compliments you with her flawless smile. You start to cry again. "Ah, my little girl, why?" She whispers to herself. She pulls you into a hug, quietly laughing at you and your childish tears. You cry into her chest. 

"I don't want to poke my eyes out, but I want long nails." You sob, making her light blue top, dark. She just laughs and sings you her song, ultimately curing you of your tears. "I'll make you some tea. It makes your nails grow faster." Before you know it you were drinking the most delicious green tea ever made in the world and playing Pai Sho with your mother. 

"I guess it's a little dumb to cry over shortening my nails ..." You move your first piece of the second round. Your mother looks at you with warm eyes. 

"No, not really. You worked hard on growing out those nails."

—— (Reality) ——

The kitchen was fresh out of green tea. You sigh and pull your hair into a ponytail. It's surprising not to run into anybody yet. You walk into the bright outdoors. A flying lemur stares at you from a tree. You give it a weird look but continued down the path to the ferry. 

You planned to buy a few variations of green tea and go back home and wallow in regret, anger, and sadness. But your plans never seem to work out for you. You hear the familiar timbre of a certain firebender in the next aisle over in the market. 

You hide behind a stand of various fruit that covered most of your height. Mako was buying ingredients for - you assumed-- an epic feast of noodles. He thanks the shop keeper and starts to head your way. 

Your (e / c) eyes widen. Heart beating wildly. Everything slowed down and dimmed all around his figure. If you were holding something in your hands, then you would've dropped it. Your breath was caught in your throat, making your chest hurt. It was as if you were on a cloud - or sky bison - feeling untouchable. 

But then last night's memories seeped in - the cloud started to shrink as it emptied itself of rain. The sky bison landed on the island of bitter emotions. Your clammy hands turned to fists. You turn to avoid Mako, but it was too late.