Rose Bud

The Next Day (Monday)

     Julian rests his head on the bar top, his eyes starting to close. The bell above the door rings, Julian shoots up, a familiar face and figure walking towards him. "Rose, right on time. How've you been?"
     "Good enough. But I don't think it's the same for you, you look stressed out. What's going on?" She asks. "Hmm, what isn't? I don't wanna talk about me. Let's talk about you. Everything been normal? No getting sick or anything. Everything's normal?"
     "That's an odd way to ask, but yeah, everything's all good. Are you okay?" She asks again, leaning closer. "Can I be honest?" He asks. She nods.
     "I got a couple of girls pregnant. Three, to be exact. Kim, my girlfriend, wants to help me raise them. I just don't think I deserve this, her and the babies. She's amazing, but you know that, I gush about her every time we talk. I'm so stressed I don't know what to do, Rose." He admits.
     "I have an idea," she says, "give me your phone." She opens her hand, waiting for him to pass it over. "Uh, why would I do that?"
     "Because you trust me and know I want the best for you." She says. "I don't know that." He says, getting his phone out of his pocket and placing it in her hand. She gives a satisfied smile. "What's your password?"
     "Five, two, two, zero, one, five." He tells her. "What are you doing in the app store?"
     "I'm downloading Fortnite." She says, handing him his phone back and taking out her own. "Kim's son plays that. I'm not playing a video game. It's childish."
     "It's fun. Come on, it won't take long. Just play with me." She begs jokingly, pulling on his arm. He laughs and picks up his phone. "One game. That's it."

Nine Games Later

     "Damn it, I died." Rose says, dropping her phone. "Wait, you killed me!" She smacks Julian's arm. He laughs and moves back, still involved in the game. "Beginner's luck."
     "I've won three games, it's just skill. Oh, I got killed." He puts his phone down and looks up at Rose, who's smiling at him. "Maybe it was just beginner's luck."
     "No, you got some skill. You should go ask Kim's son to play and then win and pretend like you've never played before." She says.
     "That's juvenile, but Oscar would get a kick out of it."
     "I know what teenage boys like, trust me. I have two younger brothers, they're both still in high school." She tells him.
     "Rose, can I ask you a question?"
     "Well, you just did. But yeah, go ahead."
     "How old are you?" He asks. "I'm twenty four, but I'll be twenty five in July." She tells him. "You're not even twenty five? Oh, wonderful. Oh great. Jesus, you're more than thirty years younger than me."
     "It doesn't matter, I'm a consenting adult." She says. "But you're younger than two of my kids."
     "Well, at least now we won't have to worry about any relationship between us. It looks like you and Kim are really- Is that the time? I need to go, I'm gonna be late. I'll see you Wednesday, Julian. Take care."
     Julian places his hand on his arm, letting out a sigh.

Wednesday

     Rose gets out of her car and walks towards Charlie's. She takes a deep breath and walks in, dreading telling Julian the news she had.
     The bartender looks up at her when she comes in, and this kid wasn't the same hunk of man she was used to seeing. "Uh, you're not Julian."
     "The boss isn't feeling so great, but he said you'd be here and told me what your usual is. Do you want one?" He asks. She shakes her head. "I'm not currently drinking alcohol. I just came to see Julian. Do you know when he'll be back?"
     "He's in his office. He said I could send you back." The bartender tells her. "Thanks. I won't be long." She says, heading back to his office. She knocks on the door, half hoping he won't answer and she can put it off.
     "It's open." He calls, his voice sounding far away. Rose opens the door and walks in, standing in the emternce way. Julian's sitting on the couch with one leg up, his phone turned on its side and him focused on his screen.
     "What happended?" She asks, motioning towards his leg. "Oh, it's nothing, an old injury acting up. What's going on?"
     "You know how you were asking me if everything was normal and I said it was? Well I found out that things aren't normal. I'm ex- expec, I'm pre- I'm preg-"
     "You're pregnant, aren't you?" He asks, never even looking away his phone. She covers her face and cries. "Yes. I'm so sorry, but I can't raise them alone. I need you and you're gonna need to take them most of the time. I have nothing for them."
     "Don't worry, Rose, I'm here for you and them." He promises, finally glancing over at her. "You're amazing. You're wondering. Oh, Julian, thank you." She runs over and wraps her arms around him, pressing her forehead to his cheek. "Are you playing Fortnite?" She asks.
     He turns his phone's screen off. "I don't have to answer your questions without a lawyer present."
     "Very funny, Julian. I'm pulling extra shifts, so I actually have to he there earlier tonight. I'll see you. And thank you again." She kisses his cheek and takes off, shutting the door behind her.
     "Well, that makes four."

Later

     Julian sits on the edge of the bed and puts his hands under his leg, lifting it onto the bed. Kim watches from the bathroom doorway. "You should really talk to a doctor about your knee, it's been giving you problems for weeks."
     "It's fine, I'm fine. I'm just little stressed, that's all. I can't believe I really have four babies on the way. Four at once. Can you believe it?" He asks, an unrelenting smile on his face. "I believe it, still baffles me. I'm really happy for you and I can't wait to be there with you thought it all. If anyone deserves this, it's you. You're a devoted father and if your kids let you around them I know you'd never leave their sides. You'll be good for these babies."
     "I hope so. This is my last chance to do something truly good in the world. I know four babies is a lot but I feel like together with Oscar it should be no problem, especially not with all three of us under the same roof. This is gonna be amazing. Four babies, four!" He beams, resting his pillow.
     Kim smiles at him. "I'll be right back, I left my chapstick in my purse and I can feel my lips starting to get dry." She says, heading out of their bedroom and into the kitchen.
     Before opening her purse, Kim checks to make sure Julian isn't lurking. "Julian can't get up that fast." Kim tells herself silently, taking a small, rectangular box out of her purse and turning it over. "Clearblue, over ninety nine percent accurate, can test up to four days early, two tests, results as fast at one minute." She reads, shaking her head and shoving it back to the bottom of her purse.

If you can tell me what Julian's password stands for, Idk, you can name him and Paige's baby.