The Wedding

January 24th 2020

     Julian fixes his tie in the mirror, breathing deeply. There's a knock on the door. "Come in!"
     Lucas opens the door and walks in. "Hey, Dad. You ready for this?"
     "Wish I was." He admits, dropping into the chair. "My knee's killing me, I didn't sleep at all last night, half the kids have a runny nose, and it's fucking below freezing outside."
     "Not having second thoughts, are you?"
     "Not exactly. I'm just worried she won't be happy with me. Things were so good with Alexis until we got married, then it all went to shit. What if I screw it up, again?"
     "You won't." Lucas assures him. "Kim loves you for who you are, so just be you. Let's take your mind off the worrying. Name something, just one thing, that Kim did recently that made you feel how much you love her?"
     "It was a few nights ago. We were trying to separate the twins again. Abel was with Marissa and Ellie and Tomas stayed with us. So, Abel starts losing his shit, Tomas isn't too much better, and I'm getting ready to go calm Abel down. I already have my knee brace on so I'm really not supposed to be doing much moving around. So Kim offers to go over for me. She comes back ten minutes later and tells me that Abel is fast asleep. I'd been trying that for months and Kim managed to do it in a night. She's a miracle worker."
     Lucas slaps his dad's arm. "See, keep thinking like that and these doubts will disappear. Tell me something else."
     "She got Leo to stop losing his shit at school every day. The first day was a nightmare, he screamed and cried the whole way in and I guess he didn't stop until lunch. He did that for the first week. Until Kim dropped him off one morning. I guess she gave him a talk about how it makes me happy that he's growing up and making new friends and he went happily on his way."
     "I'm glad. He was so clingy for those first few weeks of school. It's like he was afraid to let go of you." Lucas comments.
     "He was. I've coddled him so much the last year that he's got a little attached."
     "A little? Your kids have separation anxiety."
     "Better than you all hating me again. Speaking of, you aren't angry that I asked Leo to be my best man, are you?"
     "No way, Dad. It's your wedding, you do what you want. And I've been your best man before."
     "Thank you, Lucas. Leo's been my rock, I figured he should stay by my side through this too." Julian says.
     They turn to the door, Lucas opens it. Sam and Leo come in, Leo runs straight to Julian and into his arms. "Do you like my suit, Daddy? It looks like yours."
     "It looks amazing, buddy. You're such a dapper young man. Oh, and Sam, you look so beautiful, baby girl."
     "You should see the babies. Marti is so precious in her little silver dress. And just wait until you see Kim, she'll take your breathe away." Sam says.
     "I believe it. She already does take my breath away, every time I see her. I'm ready to get on with this. The sooner she becomes my wife, the better. Thank you two for coming, I love you all so much."

A Few Minutes Later

     Julian shifts nervously, staring at the doors of the reception hall. They'd opted for a non-religious wedding and fell in love with the hall. Leo pulls on his pant leg. He looks down. Leo gives him a thumbs up and a smile. Julian returns his smile, turning back to the doors.
     The doors open, Sam guides Kenny, Layla, and Marti. She nudges the girls one by one towards Julian. "Go get Daddy."
     Marti takes off, stumbling but getting to Julian, jumping into his arms. Kenny and Layla aren't too far behind. He puts Marti down and pats their heads. Next is Lucas with Derek, Tomas, Abel, and Liam. He sends them down the isle, Liam stops and tries to climb on to his mothers lap, quickly shooed back to his father.
     Once they're all standing around him, as organized as possible, the doors open again. Oscar walks Kim down the isle, hugging his mother at the end.
     Julian just stares, his mouth slightly open, his eyes full of love. She blinks, her cheeks getting redder. They start the ceremony, saying everything they need to say. They stop at the rings. He slips his onto jet slim finger. She pushes hers on his. They keep going, gradually getting closer. He leans in. "I do."
     "I do."

Later

     Julian leans down, taking one of Marti's hands and one of Layla's, twirling them slowly. Kenny waits patiently, bouncing in participation. Tomas and Abel do laps. Derek and Liam crouch near the wall with a pile of toys, watching their brothers.
     Leo comes over, they jump up. "Lee Lee!" Liam exclaims, grabbing one of his hands. Derek grabs the other, both boys dragging him down to play with them.

     Alexis walks over to Kim, touching her shoulder. "First off, congratulations, I'm so happy for you two. This whole thing is beautiful. And everyone is having so much fun. Look at Julian and his girls."
     "Thank you, Alexis. It means a lot to us that you showed up. He felt weird inviting you, but he said he'd feel weirder if he hadn't. And you're friends, so he wanted you here. I'm glad you're enjoying it."
     "I am enjoying it. I'm glad you invited me. I hope to be a part of the family you've created, as Liam's mom and you and Julian's friend."
     Kim smiles at her. "You'll always have a place in our family."
     Alexis smiles and nods, giving her a tight hug. "Just again, congratulations. You and Julian deserve to be happy together."

Sorry the quality is nonexistent, I just want to finish this story.