Every Step of the Way

January 13th 2019

     Alexis shuffles back to the couch, lowering herself slowly, and painfully. Just as she manages to get comfortable, the doorbell rings. She groans. "If you have a key, use it! If you don't have a key, I don't wanna talk to you!"
     A few seconds later, Julian opens the door, Leo pushes his way inside and runs over to her, giving her a hug. "Is the baby gonna come today?" He asks, moving to her stomach.
     "I hope." She says softly, running her hand over his head. She looks over at Julian. "Kim has all six?"
     "Of course not. Oscar, Lucas, Brad, Liz, and Drew are all there. Plus Marissa and Ellie have the twins and Rose's parents are stopping by later to see Marti. I wouldn't leave her high and dry."
     "Good. I'd have to kick your butt." She teases.
     "Oh, please. If you can get off the couch, I'll let you."
     "I'll end you, Julian. I'll end you and Leo will help me. Won't you, Buddy?"
     Leo looks over at his father and nods. "Sorry, Daddy." He turns back to Alexis. "Can I have one of the cookies that Krissy made?"
     Julian walks over and puts his hands on Leo's shoulder. "We just got here, Bud. Don't be rude."
     "It's fine." Alexis says. "They're on the kitchen counter. Grab me and your daddy one too."
     He runs into the kitchen. Julian smiles and sits on the chair next to the couch, Alexis taking up the whole thing. He places his hand on her stomach. "How are you feeling?"
     "Like I'm a week past my due date. I'm so ready to be in labor. Their head is pressing down so hard."
     "Monday you can have them induce labor or have a c-section."
     "I know. It's not the same. I'll know it's happening. It won't be that moment I realize that they're ready to be born." She says, tensing up and holding her stomach. "It's probably just more Braxton Hicks. I gotta put my feet up."
     Julian helps her get her feet onto the couch arm. "Better?" He asks. She nods.
     "You said that Rose's parents are going to see Marti. Is Rose okay?"
     "No. Physically, she's fine, just recovering. She has post partum depression or something. She hasn't bonded with Marti and she doesn't want to. She pumps but she won't nurse her. Of course nursing her would require seeing her. Kim and Rose's parents seem pretty sure it won't last too much longer."
     He looks over at the kitchen door. "I'm gonna see why Leo's taking so long." He gets up and goes in.
     Alexis takes out her phone, pressing it to her ear. "Hey, Jax. When you get this, don't panic and go to the hospital. I'm in labor. Tell my girls, have them come too. Diane too, if she's not busy. And Lucas. Oh, and if you have Kim's number, call her." She hides her phone as Julian comes back in with Leo.
     "He couldn't reach so he was trying to climb onto the counter." He says, passing Alexis her cookie. She takes a few nibbles at it before placing it back on the table.
     "Leo, I see you have a cool truck. Do you wanna go play with it over there?" She asks, motioning to the landing in front of the door. He nods and goes over.
     "Lex?"
     "Don't panic, I know how you get, I'm in labor."

Later

     Alexis shifts uncomfortably, groaning. "Get this kid out of me, already."
     "We're not controlling how fast or slow they're coming out. That's all them, and your body." Her doctor tells her.
     She grunts, squeezing Jax's hand tighter. Julian crosses his arms, sinking deeper into his chair. Alexis looks over at him, reaching out. He slips his hand into hers, regretting it almost as soon as her hand closes around his. She squeezes, making Julian physically cringe.
     "This is all your fault." She growls, squeezing his hand tighter.
     "Damn it, Lex. You're gonna break my hand."
     "I'll break your damn face." She hisses. "I'm so sorry. I'm just in so much pain." She whimpers, touching his hand to her lips.
     Julian moves closer, kissing her cheek. She pulls herself against him, wrapping both arms around him. He rubs her back, feeling the waves of her tensing up and releasing. Each push getting longer and more painful for her. The last one leaves her shaking and the sound of crying in the room.
     "It's a boy." The doctor announces, passing him up to them.
     Julian's hands slide along Alexis' arms, mimicking her movements. She leans against him, their new son against her, facing Julian. She tears her eyes away from him just long enough to look up at Julian, relaxing into his hold.
     Julian, with one hand on his son's back, running his fingers down his stomach. "Oh, Alexis, he's so perfect."
     "He's got your mouth."
     "And your nose."
     Jax touches her arm. "You did so wonderful, darling."
     "He's beautiful. Oh, Julie, our boy is beautiful."