Learning

February 1st 2019

     "You sure you're okay with letting me having Liam for the whole day?" Julian asks Alexis, checking for the seventh time in as many minutes.
     "Yes. Absolutely. You take care of six babies and a toddler every day, one more will be no problem. And you'll have Sam with you. I trust you completely to take care of our son for a few hours."
     "Okay, good. Cause there are a lot of people who don't trust me to do things I know how to do." He says, looking over Liam in his carrier, starting to wake up. "Goodmorning, big boy. How was your morning nap?"
     Alexis goes over to Liam, rubbing his stomach. "You'd better be a very good boy for your daddy."
     "I deal with Tomas and Abel all day, he'll be a delight." Julian laughs, going over to the kitchen counter. "Would you mind getting me a glass of water?"
     She nods and goes to the fridge. He slides the basket of pill containers over to him. He looks at the calendar on the wall, picking put the containers with the same colors as on the calendar. Alexis walks over with his water, touching his arm. "Are those all the meds you're on?"
     "The ones for this morning. Some I don't have to take every day and some I take at night or lunch. A lot are just to help with the side effects of others, so I don't have to take those often. Well, I do, but they said I'll have to take them less and less. And I should be off a whole bunch of them soon anyways."
     "I wish you the best. In physical therapy and your medication. I can't imagine the pain you're in. The meds must be your saving grace."
     He shakes his head. "Only pain meds I take are advil. I can't afford to get addicted. I have an addictive personality. I was addicted to the mob, to you, I used to drink a lot, I can't risk it." He looks over at the door. "I think Sam's here."
     The doorbell goes off, making Marti cry from her car carrier. "Can you get that?" He asks, rushing to Marti, rubbing her stomach.
     Alexis opens the door. "Hi, honey."
     "Mom, hey." She greets, hugging her and heading inside. "Hi, Dad. Is that Marti? Yep, your little princess has you now. Ma, you should see the way she latches onto him. It's because her mother still won't see her."
     "Sam, come on. Rose is trying. She's a little discouraged because very time she holds Marti, she starts crying, but she's trying. And Rose has her own shit to deal with. Try and be understanding."
     Sam rolls her eyes. "I think she realized that Marti didn't buy her a ticket to your bed and she's disappointed. But that's none of my business. Where's Leo today?"
     "With Michael, Dante, Rocco, and Jonah. I don't actually know what they're doing. They told me but I forgot. So he'll be having fun. Oscar is at school, obviously. But he's out later than normal cause he's got a SAGA meeting."
     "What's SAGA?" Sam asks.
     "Straight and gay alliance. He's there with his friend, Dakota. She didn't want to go alone."
     "That's very sweet of him. And where's Dr. Kim today?" Alexis asks.
     "She had three appointments this morning but she's coming home after lunch and sleeping until she feels rested. It's been a long few, hmm, months. Would you look at the time. We're gonna be late if we don't get going. Alexis, would you mind helping us get the babies into the cars?"
     "Of course."
     "Okay. Marti, Liam, Kenny, and Derek in my car. Tomas, Abel, and Layla will go in Sam's car. Let's move fast so they don't start crying."

👶🏻👶🏻👶🏽👶🏽👶🏼👶🏾👶🏻

     Julian sets Derek and Liam's carriers on the ground, sitting on the closest seat, patting Marti and Kenny's back, both snuggled against his chest in their carriers. Sam rests Layla's carrier next to him, shaking her head. "I told you to bring your cane."
     "I only have two hands."
     "I'd taken one of them."
     "I hate the cane. I'm not ninety years old." He says, stretching his leg out.
     A woman comes over to them. "Excuse me, but we don't allow daycares during the public sessions. You can book a private session for another time."
     "Oh, no, I'm not a daycare. These are my children. All seven of them. Eight of them, she's my daughter too."
     "Oh." The woman turns her eyes away. "Is it part of your religion or,"
     "I'm not Moorman, I'm just irresponsible."
     Sam smacks his arm. "Kim said I can hit you every time you make that joke."
     "Please don't." He turns to the woman, who's still staring at them. "Are we late?"
     She shakes her head, motioning towards the room down the hall.