Bonding

January 1st 2019 (Afternoon)

     Julian leans back in the rocking chair with his brand new baby girl, wrapped up in a blanket, in his arms. "Hi, honey. Finally, it's just you and me. No one coming and out, taking pictures, poking you, or talking loudly. Just you and me, sweetie." He whispers. "Wow, you're perfect."
     He sits there with her, cradling her head. "I think I found the perfect name for someone so beautiful. I do love Evangeline, but I don't want people calling you Eve. But I think Layla will suit you just fine. A little angel like you. Layla. I like how that sounds. Be adorable if you like it too. Wow, I'm gonna take that as you love it. Alright, Layla Evangeline Jerome, it's decided. You have stolen my heart, Layla."

     Michael leans over and kisses Rose softly. She looks back down at her hands. He touches her shoulder. "Rosie, what's going with you. You've been quiet. That's not like you."
     "I'm just thinking. I have a lot on my mind. I'm due in three days. In three days my baby is supposed to be born. Everything is going to change. We just started dating and now I'm bringing a baby into this."
     Michael looks over at his son's carrier. "What do you call Jonah? He's a baby. Listen, Rose, our relationship is separate from our kids. We can find out if this will work without thinking about the kids. Whatever happens, they'll live happily. Come on, stop worrying and enjoy this."

     Sam lifts Derek out of his crib, bouncing him softly. Lucas gets up from where Leo's sleeping and goes over to her, looking over her shoulder. "He looks a lot like Dad. I know a lot of people say that about babies, but Derek really does look like him. So does Leo."
     "So do you." Sam says.
     Lucas laughs. "I guess I do."

     Liz sits in the rocking chair, Kenny asleep in her arms. "I'm glad your daddy asked me to help with you today. He needs to focus on this first day with your new sister. It won't just be boys anymore."
     She leans back, feeling a twinge in her chest. "I can't help but think about Audrey. She was going to be my daughter, and your sister. She didn't make it. But I like to think that maybe she was there for you when you needed help. Maybe. I don't know. But I am so glad that you came out nice and strong. Your mommy and daddy deserve you."

     Ellie passes Marissa a bottle of water, sitting next to her. "They're so peaceful when they nurse." She commends, placing her hand on one of the twin's back.
     "They really are. I can't believe I let myself miss so much time with them. I feel like a horrible mother."
     "Mari, you aren't a horrible mother. Babe, you aren't even a bad mom. You love the twins, they know that. Look at how much they love you."
     "They just like getting fed."
     "Mari, look at me. You don't suck as a mom. You're just new to all this. You just need some more time with the twins and you'll realize that you're a great mom."
     "Speaking of." Marissa says. "I wanna move closer. That house across the street and down a few, it's for sale. It's four bedrooms, three and a half baths, has an open floor plan, central air, an office, and a nice patio. I think we should make an offer."
     Ellie looks down at the twins, then back up at her wife. "If you want that, I'll make it happen. For you, Tomas, and Abel."

     "Oh, Jax, look." Alexis calls. He runs to her side, kneeling in front of her. "Julian announced the new baby's name."
     "I thought something was wrong." He breathes. "What's her name?"
     "Layla Evangeline. Oh, she's precious. She's already got a head of blonde hair."
     "She's adorable. Julian looks so happy. Paige does too." He comments.
     "She's feeling a better after what happened on Christmas. This is her mother, in the tie dye. She's the polar opposite of Paige's father. It's hard to think they were married for seventeen years."
     "Sometimes the most out there couples can work."
     "They clearly didn't. Paige hardly talked to her dad, she hasn't since Christmas. She had told Julian that they were on good terms. He still shouldn't have invited him without telling her, but she shouldn't have lied."
     Jax gets up from the ground and sits on the couch. "I know you're a little stressed about something, and it's not Paige's family drama. And it's not the baby, cause that's a different stress. What's going on?"
     "That's between Julian and I."
     "I don't accept that answer. I don't want you and Julian anymore. I want us and Julian. I wanna be there for and with you." He says, placing his hand on her jaw. "I've always loved you, but it's a new type of love now. Do you feel it too?"
     She nods and leans in. "I think I feel something. But it's not your lips. I wanna change that."

Later

     Rose waddles to the nurse's station. "I'm looking for Paige Rowe's room."
     The nurse tells her the number, pointing down which hallway. Rose thanks her and heads towards it. A hand on her shoulder stops her. She turns to face Finn, swallowing. "Rose, why haven't you said anything to Kim yet? I told you almost a week ago."
     "I, I don't want to cause any trouble. I care about them, it'll hurt Julian."
     "But if Kim finds out that you've known all this time, it'll hurt a lot more. And it'll be all your fault. I suggest you say something soon." Finn says, walking off in the opposite direction.
     Rose starts towards Paige's room again. She stops when she sees Kim coming out. "Hi, Rose. Are you here to meet Layla?"
     Rose nods, holding her breath. Kim smiles. "She's beautiful. You probably saw the pictures on Facebook, but they don't do her justice. She's really a beautiful little girl. What's wrong?,
     "Uh, uh, I, uh, I have to tell you something."
     "Spit it out, Rosie."
     "Julian and Alexis had sex."
     "Rosie," Kim laughs, "she's expecting his baby. Obviously they've had sex."
     "No! No, it was after that. It was after Derek was born. When he found out about her baby."
     "Rose, I know. Julian told me after his surgery, he was really high on pain medication. I was furious but he had just almost died and we had a baby on the way and another already here. I yelled at him, I screamed. We talked calmly, argued, we did all kinds of things. But eventually we just decided that it was better for everyone involved if we just got over it and moved on. I know how much he regrets it. It eats him alive. His son was a preemie, I almost lost Kenny, and he was in constant pain. He slipped up, and it sucks. I'm not just accepting it, but I can't change it now. But we can grow from this. He's promised to do better by me and the kids. I believe him. Rose, I'm glad you said something, even if I already know. How did you find out? Did he tell you?"
     Rose shakes her head. "Dr. Finn told me. I didn't wanna know. I tried to get Alexis to tell you, but I was scared. I don't wanna make things bad for anyone. Especially not my little girl."
     Kim holds her hands. "Nothing has changed for your little girl." She promises.