Coffee

A Week Later (May 18th 2018)

     Julian stops his car and scans the plaza. He was sure it's where Paige said to pick her up. Her car was having problems and she knew he was already going to be going to the same place as her, he seemed like the best option.
     She comes running from the other direction, knocking on the passenger's side window. He jumps, slamming his hand against his chest and looking over. "You scared the Hell out of me."
     She gets in and takes a deep breath. "Finally, in sitting and no one is screaming at me." She sighs, relaxing in her chair.
     "You work at the bank?" He asks, motioning towards the bank.
     She shakes her head. "No, I work at the daycare."
     "You work at a daycare and you're giving up full custody of your kid? Isn't your whole job working with kids?" He asks.
     "It's not that I don't want to raise this baby, I just know they'll be better off with you. You'll be able to support them financially. I'm in no position to feed another mouth. I still wanna be their mother, I just want them to have a stable home life. You can do that for them, you and your girlfriend. Speaking of, we'd better not keep her waiting."

Later

     "Alright, heartbeat is strong. I can't find anything wrong with the baby, which is good. You've taken great care of yourself, and it's really showing. I'll send the blood to the lab for testing, but now comes an important question. Do you want to know the gender?" Kim asks Paige.
     Paige immediately glances at Julian. He shakes his head. "Don't look at me. It's your body."
     She turns back to Kim. "I don't want to know the gender. I want to be surprised. As long as it's okay with you, Julian."
     "It's completely up to you." He tells her.
     "I don't want to know." Paige repeats.
     "That's all good. We have another few things we need to do, but Julian's leaning first. Bye bye, honey." Kim says, kissing his cheek.
     "I'll see you later, baby." He says, taking off down the hall, taking out his phone. He keeps walking, almost crashing into someone. He looks up, smiling. "Lucas, hey."
     "Hey, D-Julian. How are you doing?" Lucas asks, a smile starting to form on the side of his lip.
     "I'm doing wonderfully, actually. I'd love to tell you about what's going on. I know you know about Kim but there's a lot more going on." Julian tells him.
     "I actually, I really do wanna talk. Something happended and I really need someone to talk to." Lucas admits.
     "Do you wanna go out for coffee?" He asks. Lucas nods.

     Julian leans over his coffee and takes a sip. "It started with these three women, Allison, Paige, and Marissa. Allison is trouble, she's not taking are of herself or the baby. I'm worried about the kid, I'm worried they're not gonna make it. Paige is super sweet, she's actually with Kim right now. Marissa is, well, she's a lot smarter than me. Then there was Rose, she's a wonderful young woman. She just loves being around me and Kim, it's amazing. Then Liz Webber, but I know you found out about that yourself. Then of course there's Kim."
     "Wow, so that's six babies at once. Damn, mind giving me one?" Lucas asks, only half joking.
     "What about the baby you're adopting?"
     "The birth mother decided to not choose us. She, uh, she's worried about us being around Sonny. She didn't worry about you, it was Sonny. I was so horrible to you, and I didn't even think about Sonny. Here you are, trying to turn your life around and I ask my husband to tell you that we want you to publicly say we're estranged. I, I'm sorry. Everyone else has been given a second chance, why not you?"
     Julian chuckles and looks down. "I'm trying my best. I just hope I don't fail these kids."
     "You didn't fail as a dad, you failed as a person, but not a father. You were always there for me if I needed you, and you always loved me. I know you're gonna do well by these kids. They're lucky to have you as a dad, they hit the jackpot." Lucas says, glancing down at his hands.
     "That means a lot to me. You even talking to me means the world."
     "I have to be honest, I didn't just come to okay catch up. I wanted to ask if I could be a part of my siblings lives. I've missed out on a lot of family and I losing this chance to be a father has really showed me just how precious fam-"
     "Of course you can be a part of their lives. You're their biggest brother, and my oldest son. I love you, son."
     Lucas swallows and nods.

A Little While Later

     Julian opens the apartment door and hangs his coat up, looking down at what just hit his leg. His granddaughter stares back up at him with her big brown eyes and smile. "Hi Scout, oh my goodness, I was not expecting to see you." He says, picking her up and kissing her head.
     "Drew stopped by to drop something off for Oscar and stayed to play a few video games with him, he had Scout so I figured you'd like the surprise when you got home." Kim says from her spot on the couch.
     "I don't mind at all, not if I get to spend time with this little angel." He says, his eyes stuck to Scout.
     Kim rests her cheek on her hand, her other hand covering her stomach. She glances down, then back up at him, forcing the smile to return. He smiles at her, his eyes starting to sparkle. He had more than just a lot of good news, and he wanted her to hear every word of it. She just wanted him, his love, and to see him hold a baby. She curls her fingers around her stomach, putting her complete focus there.

In the next part:
Marissa and Julian get some shocking news
• Liz worries
• The Webber boys learn something
And
• Finn makes a move