Thanksgivings

November 22nd 2018

     "Oscar, go help your mom." Julian says, motioning to the stairs. Oscar gets up and runs over to Kim, helping her down the last few steps. He stays to help Rose and Matilda too before going back to the kitchen island with Joss.
     Kim goes over and sits next to Julian on the couch. "It's just those last few steps. I can't wait until those stupid stairs are carpeted." She says, resting her head on his shoulder. "I get so scared going down them, and when Leo runs up and down them, ugh."
     "I know, it's why were having carpet put in and a new, safer, railing." He says, kissing the top of her head.
     "It's not even noon and I'm already exhausted."
     "You're thirty five weeks pregnant, having serious complications, and you've been working your ass of this morning. You should've let me help." He says.
     "Your leg is in a cast and you're still walking with crutches. I just wish Oscar had stayed home and helped instead of taking off with Josslyn all morning. Sometimes I wonder how much help he's really gonna be with the babies if he doesn't even wanna help me prepare Thanksgiving dinner. Thank God for Matilda Harke. And everyone else for bringing food. I forget, who's bringing what?" She asks.
     "Lucas and Brad are bringing the turkey. Rose's parents sent so much I'm not sure what they didn't send. Marissa and Ellie are bringing vegetarian options. Drew is bringing like cranberry sauce or something, maybe gravy. Liz is bringing a vegetable, I think green beans, and brownies for dessert. Paige is not coming, she's spending all day with her family, and apparently breaking the news she won't have majority of the custody. Ava is bringing Scott Baldwin and I'm not sure what else. Alexis is bringing a dessert smorgasbord. Knowing Kristina, she's probably bringing something to hit me with. Oh, and Josslyn's dad, Jax, is coming. I think he's bringing Alexis, actually."
     "Are they a thing?"
     "No. At least, I don't think so. Maybe they are. They'd be nice together, he's good to her."
     "Look at you being the bigger man." She beams, rubbing his arm.
     "Alexis and I are friends now. We have a baby on the way and our past is just there, the past." He says, kissing her quickly, getting a glimpse of Leo out the corner of his eye.
     Leo jumps onto the couch, crawling over Julian to get between them. "Daddy, Mr. Harke showed me how to make marshmallows into a sticky thing. You pull them all up then you stick them back together, then you pull them apart again, stick them together, and keep going. It's so much fun and it tastes better."
     "That sounds disgusting but like so much fun. Did you wash your hands first?"
     Leo nods. "Mr. Harke told me how to wash hands the right way. You has to sing 'Happy Birthday.'"
     Julian looks over at Kim. "What do you say, Dr. Nero, is that scientifically accurate?"
     "Yep, you wanna get all those nasty germs off your hands."
     They all look up when the doorbell rings. Leo jumps up and runs to be there when it's opened. Kim pushes herself up and heads over too. Julian pulls his crutches over and goes to stand, Derek starts to cry from his bouncer. Julian lets his crutches fall to the floor and himself fall to the couch. He lifts Derek into his arms and rocks him. "Daddy's not leaving you, calm down."
     Kristina walks into the living room and makes her way to the spot next to him. "Happy Thanksgiving, Julian. And you too, Derek. Oh, he's even more precious in person."
     "Thank you, from both of us. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. I'm thankful that we can have this civilized conversation."
     "Me too. I was really angry at Mom when she told me that you knew about the baby and she agreed to share custody, I still am, but a lot less now. I saw that picture Kim tagged you in on Facebook, the one of you and Derek just after he came out of the incubator and you're just looking at each other. I was kinda stalking your Facebook."
     "You could always just send me a friend request." He jokes.
     "I know, it just doesn't seem right. I know Mom has forgiven you and you've moved on as friends, and I know you and Lucas are on good terms again, and I know Sam is working her way back, but I just don't think I'm there yet."
     "That's understandable. I'm not saying I want to invite you to my monthly poker games, which I don't actually have, but I want us to be able to have conversations like this any time we have to talk. This baby is your sibling and I want as little tension as possible." He says, offering a friendly smile.
     "I agree." She nods, her eyes wondering back to Derek. "Can I hold him? Is that weird to ask?"
     Julian passes Derek over, patting his stomach. "I had to go to the bathroom and it takes me about twenty minutes right now, so get comfy. He demands cuddles. And if you stop, well, God help you if you stop."