New Year's Kiss

December 31st 2018

     Julian carries Derek over to the door. "I'm coming! I'm coming!" He calls, looking through the peep hole. He opens the door, leaning on the frame. "Marissa, the party doesn't start until eight. It's barely six."
     "I know. Where are Tomas and Abel? I need to see my babies. Where are they?"
     "They're in the living room. Mari, is something wrong? Did something happen?" He asks, following her as she runs to the living room, scooping both boys off their pillow.
     "Yes, something happened. I haven't seen my sons in three days." She cries, holding them against her chest. "Hello Tommy, hello Abel. My little angels."
     Julian sits next to her, placing his free hand on her back. "I was just about to feed them. Perfect timing on your part. They prefer being nursed anyways. Do you wanna talk about more time with them yet?"
     She nods slowly. "I, I can't leave them like I thought I could. I crave them. The smell of their heads. Their little voices, even cries. Their tiny hands. Their feetsies. Everything about them. I feel like I'm starving when they're not there."
     Leo comes downstairs, his hair messy, still in pajamas. "Daddy, I don't wanna nap no more."
     "Alright, buddy, but you won't make it to midnight if you don't."
     Leo shrugs, climbing onto the couch next to Julian, curling up at his side. Julian laughs, rubbing his head. "It's hard to resist your baby. I still can't resist a second with Leo."

Past Eight

     "Mommy," Danny starts, pulling on Sam's sleeve, "why doesn't Grandpa wanna play with me?"
     "Danny, do you remember when Scout was a little baby and she would cry all night?" Sam asks. Danny nods. "Well, Grandpa has four babies right now, and three more on the way. He hasn't been sleeping much, he's been hosting a lot of parties, and you know he got hurt recently. He's just tired. See if Leo wants to play."
     "He's playing with Oscar and Scout." Danny says, shuffling his feet.
     "Go play with them."
     "Do they want me to play with them?" He asks.
     "Of course they do, silly. Go on."

     Jason walks over to the recliner Julian's leaning back in, offering him a beer. Julian shakes his head. "No thanks. I'm not drinking right now. It'd probably put me straight to sleep. Thanks anyways."
     Jason sits down, starting to sip his drink. "So, I didn't uh, I didn't thank you for telling Sam I can come. I wanted to be with her and Danny but I couldn't keep them from both her parents."
     Julian nods. "I don't like you. I make no secret of that. I think she should've stayed with Drew and if not than anyone but you. But, she is with you. And you make her happy. Keep her and the kids safe, that's all I ask. Keep them far away from whatever Sonny has you doing."
     "I can do that. This time around, Sam and Danny, and Scout of course, come first."

A Little Later

     Alexis sits next to Julian in the otherwise deserted livingroom, nudging his arm to get his attention. He sits up, adjusting Kenny in his arms. "I wasn't asleep."
     "Sure you weren't. We gotta talk."
     "What about?"
     "Rose. Where is she?" She asks.
     "With her family. They wanted to have this last holiday together before things change. Why? What's with your sudden interest in Rose?"
     "She knows something she shouldn't. She knows about us. What we did." Alexis tells him.
     "How?" He asks.
     "I don't know." Alexis says. "Someone told her but I don't know who."
     "Shit."
     "Yeah. She threatened to tell Kim. What are we gonna do?"
     Julian thinks for a second, starting to zone out. She hits his arm. He grunts. "You aren't gonna do anything. I'll take care of it. Don't worry yourself."
     "You saying you'll take care of something worries me. What are you going to do?"
     "For fuck's sake, I'm not gonna hurt my pregnant baby mama. I'm not gonna do anything. Rose won't tell and if she does than I'll handle it. Nothing is going to happen and nothing is going to change. Go enjoy the party. There's still two more hours." He says, closing his eyes.
     "She's in love with you."
     "Obviously."
     "I don't think she's trying to be malicious, I think she's honestly a little overwhelmed. I don't think she wanted to know, but now that she does she can't keep it a secret. She probably feels guilty knowing and not telling Kim."
     "Rose is a big girl. She can make choices for herself."
     "You look terrible." She states.
     "I haven't slept more than two hours at a time since Halloween. You need to stop worrying about other people. You're less than a week from your due date. Worry about that. Or don't worry at all. Everything will be fine. It always is."

Later

     Paige stands at the kitchen counter, leaning slightly. Chase comes over. "Are you sure you're alright? I can get Kim over here."
     "I'm fine." She growls, holding her stomach. "Fine, get Kim."
     Chase heads into the livingroom and comes back with Kim, leading her to Paige. "She says she's fine, but she's clearly in pain."
     Paige winces, letting out a low groan. Kim sighs. "Paige, I don't even have to get over to you to know you're in labor. Chase, can you go wake up Julian? We're going to the hospital."
     Chase nods and head back to the livingroom. "Hey, Julian. You're needed in the kitchen." He says.
     Julian's fast asleep on his recliner, Leo just as deeply asleep on his chest. Ava puts Avery on the ground, placing her hand on her brother's cheek, pulling it away and slapping. Julian shoots up, waking Leo too. He turns to Ava, still dazed. "You bitch."
     "Julian, we need you." Chase insists, glancing towards the kitchen. Julian squints, seeing Kim waving urgently. He jumps up and drops Leo on Ava's lap, limping quickly out of the livingroom.
     "Baby's coming?"
     "Fast." Kim tells him.

Five Minutes to Midnight

     "Come on, Paige, just a few more big pushes." Kim prompts. Paige looks over at the door, squeezing the rails on the bed.
     "Is my mom outside?" She asks.
     "Yes." Julian says. Paige smiles, looking back at Kim. Julian closes his eyes, pressing his fist to his mouth. Since Kendal's birth, he hadn't been able to stand this part. It took him back to the bottom of the stairs, back to Kim's side. Back to not hearing Kendal cry.
     His fear takes hold of him long enough that when he finally does open his eyes and let himself return to reality, he hears a gasp and first cry. He breathes out, wiping his cheeks off.
     "It's a girl." Kim announces, holding her up for Julian and Paige to see. A nurse brings over a blanket, Kim puts it over her and puts her into Julian's arms, a premade decision.
     Julian stares down at her, utterly speechless.
     "Ten seconds to midnight." Paige whispers, looking at the muted TV hanging on the wall.
     The nurses gather around and everyone joins in the soft countdown together. "Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. Happy New Year!"
     Julian lifts his new daughter and leans down, meeting her in the middle. He presses his lips lightly to her forehead, planting the kiss in the direct middle. Her crying quiets diener, her hands finding his face. He turns his head just enough that his jaw brushes her hairline, letting her rest there. "Happy new year, baby girl."

I didn't say Julian was going to get kissed, just that he was going to get a special kiss.