x PAUL DeJONG X

For Cydney!!!!

----------------------------

Today is very nerve-racking for me. I start my job as an athletic trainer for the St. Louis Cardinals. This has always been my dream job ever since I was little. I knew I always wanted to do something in the sports field, specifically baseball, and an athletic trainer is perfect. I'm very nervous though because my ex boyfriend, Paul DeJong, plays for the Cardinals.

It's been such a long time since we dated. We were everyone's it couple. Every girl came to me for relationship advice in high school, as if Paul and I had been married for years. Our relationship even lasted into college. But there was this one day that I will never forget-- the day Paul got called up to the majors.

"Are you serious?! Cydney, I made it. I'm playing for the Cardinals." "You're kidding?! I'm so proud of you, baby!"

It was all fun celebrating this milestone, but really thinking about it, I knew we wouldn't work out.

"Paul, we have to talk." "What's going on?" "We can't do this... There's no way we're going to be able to work out with you being called up to the majors. You're going to be so far away. It will be impossible..."

Leaving out the horrible parts of the argument, we came to a mutual agreement. We decided it was best for us to breakup, even though we still had so much love for each other. We'd both promised each other we would try to work things out if we ever got the chance, but neither of us acted on it. We really did have something special, but that all went away in the blink of an eye.

Sitting here now, thinking about my future job and the impact it could have on a possible relationship with Paul again, I get sick at my stomach. I don't think I could do that. Even though I still loved him, I'm not sure about that anymore.

----------------

To get things started, the general manager, Mike, wanted to show me around the stadium to give me a better look at where I'll be working. We start walking all around and finally end up in the clubhouse. I didn't realize all of the players were going to be here today, but it was picture day. As soon as I saw his number, I knew it was him. I burned my eyes until it seemed as if he felt eyes looking at him. He looked up at me, but there was no reaction. There is no way that he can't recognize me. After all that we've been through, there's no way he doesn't know who I am.

Mike says, "Everyone, I'd like to introduce you to our knew trainer, Cydney. Please don't give her a bunch of crap just because she's a girl. Alright, questions?" Everyone shook their head no, but out of the corner of my eye there was one person who had the biggest smile on their face. It was Paul. So, that's what it took, someone to say my name?

"Cydney, it's really you? I can't believe that you're really working here now!" "Well, you didn't even recognize who I was when I walked in here." "You've changed so much... Hey, do you remember that promise we made when we broke up?" "Yes..." "Well we've crossed paths again. So, how about we grab something to eat?" "I don't know, Paul. I know I still loved you back then, but this is now and I don't know how I feel..." "So, we don't have to like each other to grab a bite to eat, do we?" I guess not. Fine, we could go eat sometime."

Here we go again...