𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

DEAR JACK,
History is hard to write.
I can't seem to fit in my own story.
Deciding on what to tell you has been difficult.
Eventually, you'll know and push me away.

❂

𝙨𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙘𝙝𝙤𝙞𝙘𝙚—
𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮 𝙡𝙞𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙨𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙤𝙚𝙨
𝙨𝙡𝙚𝙚𝙥𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙩 𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩

THE BUNKER HAD FELT COLDER WITHOUT MARY AND CASTIEL. Even Sam had found himself accidentally preparing himself for Crowley to pop in at any moment and give them the latest update in Hell. None of the three had came back.

Dean's issue had still been Jack. He had felt that it wasn't fair for his family to lay down their lives while Jack, the son of Satan, was allowed to roam free. It felt like a slap in the face and that wasn't fair. It didn't help that on top of that, it had brought angels and demons raining down on them in search of him.

Jack had blamed himself for everything that he brought to the Winchesters. It had reached the point that he had hated himself for being there and for allowing others to hurt them. And tonight, he had hurt himself— stabbing himself repeatedly, hoping that at least once, he would feel something.

After his talk with Dean, he had felt more hopeless. Not even the comfort of knowing that Sam believed he could be saved was enough. Dean had still hated him and was willing to kill him when it had came down to it.

When he had heard a knock on the door, his thoughts had been stripped away from the pain he had held on to. Slightly turning to face the door, he had attempted to smile at Rose who had been tightly wrapped in a blanket but he had only failed. She had noticed his torn up shirt with the small stains of blood causing her smile to falter as well. "I know it's late, but I wanted to see if you wanted to watch a movie..." Swallowing hard, she pointed to his shirt with a frown, "Are you okay?"

Pulling at his shirt in embarrassment, Jack shrugged. "I don't know."

"Okay, well, if you want a new shirt..." Gesturing out the door, she motioned for him to follow her way. Hopping up from his spot, he willingly followed her. At least if he had been with her, Dean wasn't going to track him down and say more to hurt him because he knew that Rose would stand up for him.

The walk to her room had been silent and a small portion of him had felt that the night would end that way— no speaking, just silence from then on out. When they had headed in, he had suddenly become overcome in warmth. Unlike his room, this one had been filled with life.

While she had dug around in her drawers, Jack had unintentionally looked over her stack of books, guiding his fingers over one that had been opened on her bed. What had caught his attention had been the few pictures pinned to her wall. Several had Sam and Dean, but others were faces he was unsure of. All he had known was that she must've cared for them.

Standing up with a shirt in hand, Rose took a moment as she watched Jack curiously looking over her pictures. He had been much kinder than she had ever anticipated which only made her frustration with Dean grow. Jack was a part of the team now and if he ever was forced away, she had wondered if she would choose to go with him.

But it had always been Sam and Dean that had gotten her this far since they had found her. The fact that Jack had caused her to question her loyalty to the brothers had frightened her a bit. Clearing her throat, she got his attention to cause her to pull herself out of her wondering thoughts. She tossed the shirt to him before taking a seat on the bed. "It should fit."

Holding onto the shirt tightly, he looked at it with furrowed brows. There was a pain holding in his thoughts and he couldn't take it any longer. "Dean, he told me you and Sam, you would let him kill me if it came down to it."

This had solidified her questioning. "I wouldn't. We could go somewhere if anything happened."

"Go somewhere?"

"Yeah, like, hide away from him. Or anyone trying to hurt you. I mean, that's what friends do, right?"

Smiling, Jack shrugged, "I don't know. I didn't have any friends... until now."

"Well, I'd do it, I think. I've done it with a friend before. But we didn't run from Sam and Dean."

Taking a seat beside her, Jack held the shirt out towards her. "Was this his? I don't have to take it if you like it..."

Pushing it back towards him, she breathed out a soft laugh. "No, please, take it. He was that kinda guy that would've forced you to take it anyways. Kevin kinda made me a nicer person, so, you know, just take it."

Placing it back in his lap, Jack nodded in confirmation. "Can I ask you something?" When he had earned a nod, he had felt embarrassed, but he was curious, so he asked. "Where is he? Kevin, I mean."

Pulling her eyes away from Jack, Rose looked off. She had swallowed hard, wishing that she never brought up Kevin in the first place. "He died," she whispered. "It was my fault..."

"I'm sorry. He must've been a nice friend. He did like you."

"He'd like you too," she smiled. If there was anything she was certain of, it was that Jack and Kevin would've been great friends, and better off without her. Exhaling sharply, Rose turned to Jack with a forced smile. "I just don't want you to end up like him too. It hurts losing someone you love. It hurts more when it's on you."

Jack pulled his eyes away from her as he thought this through. Already he did lose someone he loved. He had thought that there was blame to be set on him for what had happened to his mother. It hurt deeply and he knew now, he didn't want Rose to feel that pain again. He had more comforting words to say, hoping to cheer her up but when he saw that her expression had been empty, he knew she was feeling that pain now. She didn't need to say it, but he had a feeling that Kevin was much than a friend to her.

The heartbreak from losing Kevin Tran had hurt Rose. It was a pain that she was certain wasn't going to leave so soon. He had meant something to her and he had always brought the best out of her.

Now sitting beside Jack Kline, she made herself smile. There was no bringing Kevin back any more. He had been gone for quite some time and it had been over. She had someone now— Jack Kline. It hadn't set in yet, but further down the line, losing him would eventually destroy her.