𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

DEAR JACK,
Have you ever admired those around you,
Everything those around you do?
Leave it me to feel that between us, it's a one way street.
Perhaps I find myself liking you more than you, me.

❂

THE THREE SAM, JACK, AND ROSE HAD SPOKEN WITH THE MORTICIAN ATHENA FOR INFO ON THE CASE. It had seemed as if it would be a dead end until they had arrived at the grave sight to find the monsters left overs. The bone had clear bite marks on it that pointed straight to a ghoul but it was only a matter of finding where this ghoul was and who they were disguising themselves as.

In the motel, everyone had been bouncing ideas off one another, the mortician, Athena being one. However, it had felt like a long day for Sam and Rose. The two had retreated to a bed while the others discussed and checked security cameras. Together they had played games on their phones, having silent bickering matches with one another in hopes no one would scold them for taking a break.

Jack had been the first to finally shoot his head up, "I think I found something!" His excitement had brought Dean and Castiel over to check his laptop while Sam and Rose hadn't even heard a single word. "I tracked the plates of the stolen truck from the crime scene, and I went though the city's traffic camera footage and look. This is it. From yesterday before the deputy was killed."

Interested in what had been caught, Dean pulled the laptop closer to him. Jack was only a rookie and he wanted to be certain that whoever was on the cameras was not someone they had ruled out.

As well as zooming in on the truck, Dean leaned forward as his breath hitched in his throat. As if the case being in Dodge City wasn't amazing enough, the greatest gunfighter had been right in front of him. Even a pixelated photo of Dave Mather had made Dean Winchester giddy. "Holy crap. That's Dave Mather."

He had begun to peel his eyes from the screen, hoping to have reactions that were just as astonished as his was. In that exact moment, Sam had yelled out in frustration. "Dammit!" Realizing his outburst was going to out him for spending time with Rose, he awkwardly glanced around the room. "I... I said... Who?"

Preparing to save him, Rose sat up and curiously looked to Dean. "Yeah, who is he?"

Forgetting Sam's outburst, Dean had found his smile once more and shot up from his spot. He made his way over to the pictures of cowboys hung up on the walls, looking them over in admiration. "Cowboy. Outlaw. One of the Dodge City gang." Taking down a picture for himself, he lightly stroked at it, feeling as if he was being placed into one of his fantasies right now. "He was one of the greatest gunfighters ever. I mean, he died in 1886, which makes this a little weird..." A chuckle had escaped his lips as he placed the picture back. "Mysterious Dave Mather. I'm gonna get my boots on." Even as he had exited the room, his excitement had been loud for them all to hear. "One of the best gunslingers ever! Woo!"

Preparing himself for a day with his older brother, Sam had snatched Rose's phone from her hand. "To be continued. We need to get ready."

Yanking it back from him, she got up from the bed. "I know. Because if we don't, Dean will kill us." Making her way around the bed, she had searched up who Dave Mather was to better familiarize herself with him. Not only would it be worth it to know for Dean's sake, but the blurred image on Jack's computer was not going to cut it.

The moment she had pulled up a picture, she pulled a chair over to Jack and took a seat. Leaning in closer to him, she showed him the picture with a questioning look. "Have we seen this guy?"

Taking the phone from her hand, he racked his brain for anything. Dave Mather had looked quite familiar but he couldn't seem to place a finger on it. He had wanted to say it was very possible Dean had gushed over him before, but that wasn't the case. Jack remembered all that he could about Dean in hopes it could spark a conversation for later. Dave Mather had never been brought up until now.

"Not that it matters," Rose concluded for herself. "We know he's a ghoul and he's playing cowboy... I just thought we've seen him before..."

Just as Rose had took her phone back, Jack had been hit with realization. Immediately, he turned to her with a bright smile. "He's Athena's boyfriend. We saw a picture of him with her."

"We did," she breathed out the moment it had hit her. "Oh, man. Dean's gonna be so jealous." Getting up from her seat, she nearly jumped her way over to Dean to let him in on where they could find Dave Mather. Watching her excitedly tell Dean they had a lead, Jack hadn't noticed Sam furrowing his brows at him. Taking a seat in Rose's old spot, he slapped his hand down on Jack's shoulder.

Surprised, Jack quickly sat straight and felt his cheeks heat up in embarrassment. "We know where to look for the ghoul... I was making sure Rose was telling Dean."

Pulling his hand off him, Sam gave a small laugh. "Yeah, sure." Hearing Sam's sarcastic response, Jack had turned to Castiel, hoping for some help on the matter. However, Castiel had simply given him a thumbs up for reassurance. Sitting back in his seat, Jack was not too thrilled that he had been obvious to all those around him besides Rose.