𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

DEAR JACK,
Understanding someone can be difficult.
So far, I know I could do it for eternity with you.

❂

𝙨𝙤𝙣𝙜 𝙘𝙝𝙤𝙞𝙘𝙚—
𝙣𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙩𝙚𝙖𝙧 𝙪𝙨 𝙖𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙩
𝙨𝙡𝙚𝙚𝙥𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙖𝙩 𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩

THE CAMP HAD BROUGHT ROSE A RESTLESS SLEEP. Her mind had constantly raced at what this other world had brought them and it felt like there was little to no hope of escaping. Imagining living in a world of an endless war had frightened her. Very few had been awake before the sun had even risen and the only sounds had been those few eating a small meal and the sounds of leaves crunching under every step Rose took.

It had felt like hours had passed when the exhaustion had hit Rose. The sun was beginning to rise as she rested up against a tree, exhaling sharply as her thoughts had finally been brought to a halt. Slowly dipping down, she had taken a seat as she watched the so-far quiet world before her.

Jack had always been a step behind her, silent with every step he had taken. Coming up to the tree she sat against, he debated turning back and leaving her to her peace. In the end, he knew he couldn't leave her be. "Hi," he said softly as he came out from behind the tree. "I noticed you left and..."

Rose had patted the spot beside her. "And you came. Good. I was hoping you would."

"You were?"

As Jack had sat down right beside her, she flashed him a smile. "Yeah. You're sort of the only one here that doesn't look at me weird. And you're my best friend."

"I am," he stated happily. "People will be looking for us soon, I imagine."

Glancing over her shoulder and behind the tree, Rose frowned at the camp becoming more lively. "Constance will be. I think she was watching me sleep."

"She wasn't. I would've made her leave. She kind of..." Jack had paused as he considered his next few words. Shaking his head, he had attempted a weak smile. "I'm glad you came here with me. I know Kaia and I, we messed up."

"I just hope they're all okay. Who knows where they ended up or if they're even alive..."

"You shouldn't say that. They're alive."

Rose gave in and nodded her head in agreement. The Winchesters are smart and tough as nails. Not only would they be able to get out of any mess, they would make sure Kaia had been saved as well. In the end, all she could care for was that they were working hard to find the three and bring them home.

Jack had looked ahead at the sun rising before them. In a way, it had felt that they weren't in a world that was living an on-going war. "Sam says we make a good team. We'll survive too."

"Sam says a lot of things. He's a total cheeseball."

"I don't understand," Jack admitted. "But I know he's right."

Finding herself breathing out a small laugh, she had turned to him just as he had already been looking at her. Everything had always felt right with Jack. He was kind and he had understood her, even when she didn't seem to always understand herself. Rose swallowed hard as she gave in to her emotions once again. "Jack, I don't want to be away from you."

"You're not." His confusion was evident.

"I mean, I like you. In a way that I don't want to lose you or leave you. I've just, I've lost so much already. I swore I was better off alone. You don't make me feel that way. Lost or alone."

"I asked Cas about you," he admitted quietly. His cheeks had began to heat and for a quick second, he thought a wave of power would burst through his fingertips just out of sheer nerves. "He told me he didn't know much. He said that you weren't always so easy to understand." Jack paused as he turned to her in wonder. "I never understood because I always understand you. He told me to wait until it had felt right and I knew. The only thing is, how do I know when that is?"

"Sometimes it just clicks. Sometimes it can take you some time to understand. I just know when I'm with you, I don't want to be anywhere else or with anyone else."

"Do you actually like me?" Jack's voice had turned soft and quiet. He was prepared to fly off if she had said no. Running away seemed easiest. That way he could go to Mary and ask her what she should do.

Rose had given it thought. Not that she hadn't before, but now, she wanted to know for sure if this had been the right thing. "I do," she whispered.

"I..." Jack's voice trailed off as his nerves had grown. He could feel the electricity between his fingers from his powers from such high emotion. "I do too." Reaching out towards her, Jack had moved her hair over her shoulder, except he had not been swatted away like Constance was. Instead, Rose had leaned in closer to him and he felt safe.

He had grown nervous as he rested his hand against her cheek, watching as the corners of her lips had began to turn upwards just at his touch. Both had taken this moment to remember how they felt and how they had looked to each other. Soon enough, in darker times, this would be something they would need to remember.

Jack had felt that he could no longer wait any longer. Leaning in, he had pressed his lips against hers, feeling that spark ignite once again between his fingers. This time, Rose had felt it too and that's how she knew that she was right— that this was right.

As they had pulled away from one another, their eyes had fluttered open to see one another again. Dopey smiles had spread across their faces as they each had relived the memory over again in their minds.

"If we're stuck here for eternity... I'm glad it's with you," she whispered.

"You're the only one."

Reaching up, Rose had placed her hand over his that had still been resting on her cheek. Taking it into her own, she gave it a light squeeze as she pulled it away. "We should be getting back. Mary's going to be looking for us for breakfast. I don't want her to worry."

Still holding hands, they had each stood up but still couldn't find it in themselves to head back to camp. Curiosity had still been hanging on Jack. "What does this mean? This isn't... we're not just friends, right?"

"Right," she breathed out. "If that's what you want because... it's what I want."

"I want that too. We can be... together."

Rose gave in with a nod. "Together," she confirmed. Holding on to his hand tighter, she couldn't help but smile up to him. It had been so easy for this moment. As if the world around them had no longer existed. Yet it did. The horrors of this world had been far from over.