𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

DEAR JACK,
Keep it together.
After tonight, I feel no different.
If you choose to go,
All I'll feel is lost forever.

❂

THE INVESTIGATION TO FIND JACK HAD BEEN TIRESOME WITH ALL THE HOOPS THEY HAD TO JUMP THROUGH TO GET A LEAD ON HIM. Visiting Derek Swans art studio, the three had discovered what they all ready knew-- Jack had been there. What they hadn't expected was to find that the man that was dead had been visiting worlds in his mind. A picture of the alternate universe that they had visited had been enough to have an understanding on why Jack had been there. According to Sam's findings, this man had been a dreamwalker, able to travel through worlds in his own mind.

Still failing to understand what they were dealing with, Rose lifted her head up in questioning. "Okay, so what's a dream walker again?" Leaning forward from the backseat, she stuck her head between the brothers.

"From what I know, dreamwalkers have these powers... Paula said it was like reportage from another universe. The lore on it is very inconsistent though..." Sam's voice trailed off as he passed his tablet back to Rose to read up on it while he flicked through his dads journal to see if he had any of the answers.

"Are we gonna talk about it?" Dean asked. Briefly giving a glance to the two, he gave a small shrug. "We all gotta be thinking the same thing here."

"Talk about what?" Sam asked. Still trying to understand it himself, he hadn't bothered pulling his eyes off of the journal. "The lore may be inconsistent but from Derek's email, he was talking to another dreamwalker named Kaia. We could get more answers from her."

"See if Jack is headed that way," Rose suggested Liking the sound of that idea, Sam had perked his head up, nodding his head in approval.

"No," Dean said loudly, "You both saw the painting. Looks like Jack is looking for Daddy Lucifer."

"First of all, we call no one daddy," Rose said sternly. "We don't know what Jack's intentions are here. I really don't think he'd kill for Lucifer. Maybe he came to Derek for help and..."

Dean instantly held his hand in the air to cut her off short. "Look, I tried to be supportive of Jack being good but this... this is something else. I don't want to be the I told you so type of guy but I said this from day one. I tried to believe he was good but if he's looking for Lucifer... This is worst case scenario. I hate this too, but we've gotta be prepared. Put the feelings and other crap behind."

"To kill him," Sam concluded quietly. "I get that, Dean. I really do. But we need more information first. I sat we go find this Kaia... Talk to her. See if she's talked to or even seen Jack. And figure out how dream walking even works."

Rose had fallen back into her seat. Dean was always so keen on killing Jack before he had gotten every answer. As long as he had viewed Jack as being potentially evil, it was enough. On the other hand, Sam had turned his head back to Rose as Dean had pulled the car out of the parking lot. With his distraction on driving, Sam and Rose gave one another a look that gave them the smallest bit of hope that this case would not lead to another's death.