𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

DEAR JACK,
Could this soon be it for us?
All through life, I felt as cold as a stone.
Now I feel empty and alone.

❂

THE SEARCH FOR KAIA HAD BEGUN. Mary's life had been at stake in the apocalypse world and they were all determined to find her. Nighttime had rolled in quickly as they rode in the Impala. Jack had sat in the backseat, staring out the window as the clouds above them had casted over the stars, followed by the droplets of rain finding their way down.

Rose had seen the pain he had felt but she hadn't been sure why. She was still angry with him - furious that he had been so willing to leave. After seeing him again, it felt as if that anger wasn't worth it any longer.

Glancing up towards the rear view mirror, Dean had seen this as well. "Kid, you okay?"

Jack's silence had all eyes fall on him as they waited for an answer. "You thought... You all thought that I could do that, that I could kill Derek."

The brothers had exchanged a quick, yet noticeable glance. Sam had decided that it was best to take charge of answering Jack. Often Dean would only make things worse by saying what he had meant wrong and Sam didn't want to risk it. "Jack, we didn't know what happened. We figured, maybe it was an accident or... or..."

"Like the security guard," Jack stated.

"Yes. Exactly. Like that," Sam agreed. We were worried, okay? You know, when you disappeared, you were in a dark place. And we didn't where you were going..."

"Thought you were looking for your dad," Dean had spoke up. This had surprised Jack as he turned over to Rose for confirmation. However, before she could speak, Dean cleared his throat loudly. "Rose was the only one who didn't think you could do that, okay? She had your back the whole time."

Jack's eyes lingered on Rose longer as he gave her a weak smile. It was his way of saying thank you and she had understood. Reaching out, she placed her hand on his to show that no matter what, he always had her support when others will doubt him. Jack turned his focus back towards the front of the car. "I was scared and upset. But why would I look for him? He's no one to me. You, Castiel -- you're family."

"Yeah. We are," Dean agreed. "Finding Mom, you did a good thing, kid. You did a real good thing."

Dean's praise had brought relief to Jack. The Winchesters were always out to protect and worrying about him, they had only wanted to be sure that the world was safe and he could forgive them for this. Flipping his hand around, he had intertwined his fingers with Rose's. He had felt as her attention had turned from the window towards him yet he had kept his eyes towards his own window to watch the rain fall.