Huit

"I don't know Peggy." I look at the dress reluctantly, "I haven't worn a dress in forever. E-Even when I got back from the army, I wore man's clothing. I don't know if I can wear the dress."

"Nonsense!" Angelica joins in on the conversation.

"You'll look beautiful in that dress!" Eliza says.

"You'll take John's breath away!" Peggy awes.

All three Schuyler sisters have already gotten ready for the ball, but I've procrastinated.

"F-Fine." I obliged.

Angelica helps me into the dress, pulling the corset strings so tight I can hardly breathe.

Eliza and Peggy clap their hands together and gush, "You look breath taking!"

"Thank you" I curtsy, "But I'm nothing compared to your beauty. All three of you."

"Thank you." All three Schuyler's say.

"Once again however, nonsense. You look just as beautiful as my sisters and I." Angelica says.

I smile, "Thank you Angelica."

"The first guests are arriving!" Eliza exclaims.

My hearts starts beating faster. Just a few more minutes and I get to see John again. The Schuyler sisters fix their hair, I do the same. I look almost... pretty. What will John think? He's never seen me in a dress before. Well, he's never seen me dressed like a lady before.

"Toni! I see your brother!" Peggy squeals, "Let's go!" She pulls my hand and drags me to the ballroom.

"Lafayette!" I call, he turns around and smiles when he sees me. Peggy and I go over to him, and I immediately wrap my arms around him. "I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too," Laf says, "But I think someone missed you more." He smirks.

"Toni," The sound of John's voice makes my heart beat faster, and it feels like butterflies have been released into my stomach. I turn around, and sure enough, my freckled soon-to-be husband stands in front of me.

I should be "ladylike" and curtsy, but no. I run towards him and throw myself into his arms.

"John!" I squeal, John holds onto my waist, lifts me off the ground and spins me around. Kissing me passionately before sitting me on the ground. The kiss lasts a few more moments before we both pull away.

I hear Herc gag behind us, "Ew. Gross there are children present" Herc covers Alexander's eyes, Alex swats away Herc's hands and shakes his head.

"I'm not a child." Alex crosses his arms over his chest and pouts.

"Way to ruin the moment." John chuckles.

"Sorry not sorry." Herc pulls a flask out of somewhere and takes a swig of it.

"Where did you... Oh nevermind!" I say. John chuckles and holds out his hand,

"May I have this dance?" He bows. I giggle and nod, placing my hand in his.

John takes whisks me away to the dance floor, and we join the other couples dancing.

"I missed you so much." John says, looking into my eyes.

"I missed you more." I say, John smirks.

"Not possible." He smirks.

Why is he so hot?

"I did." I smirk back at him.

"I missed you more."

"No I missed you more."

"I missed YOU more" John smirks at me again, "I can go on forever, love."

I giggle, "You win this one, Laurens." John smiles, clearly proud of himself.

"You're very beautiful, you know that?" John says. A blush finds it way to m cheeks.

"I've been told." My cheeks turn a darker shade of red.

"You're beautiful, and smart, and brilliant with a battalion, and spunky too." John smirks, "Lafayette talked about you a lot, before you arrived to serve in the Continental Army. He went on and on about how amazing, and beautiful, and smart his little sister Antoinette is," He pauses, "I was in love with you before I even met you in person."