Quinze

I sit next to John's still figure. Short breaths leave his lips.

He's still alive.

I stroke his hair. "Please John, wake up. I miss you, Frances misses you. Please John." I tear leaves my eyes and I lay my head on his chest, holding onto his hands.

"Ton-" Peggy stops in the doorway, I look up at her, "I-I'm sorry. I'll leave you alone, j-just there's someone here for you." And with that Peggy picks up her dress and runs off.

I sigh and grip John's hand, bringing it to my lips and kissing it gently. I inclose his hands in mine. I kiss John's forehead, "Stay alive..." I sing quietly before leaving the room, closing the door behind me.

I walk to the parlor, and see Eliza, and Peggy sitting on the sofa. Another person stands up, leaning against the wall. His back facing me so I cannot identify the man.

Eliza smiles, "Toni."

"Betsy." I smile at her. The man turns around. Lafayette. "Laf!" I squeal and hug him.

"Bonjour mon ange!" Laf laughs, "How are you? Are all your injuries alright. I wanted to stay in America but I had duties back home."

"It's quiet alright, Laf. All my injuries seem to have healed quiet nicely. Just a nasty scar from the bullet wound and stitches. John's however," I pause and run a hand through my hair, sighing, "I cannot say the same. He has been in a comatose for quiet some time now and I don't know if he's gonna make it." A tear falls from my eye but Laf is quick to wipe it away.

"He'll be fine, mon ange. He'll wake up, and he will be here for you and Frances. Speaking of Frances, where is my darling niece?" Laf says.

"She's playing with Philip outside. I'll take you to them." I hold out my hand and lead Laf to the backyard where Philip, and Frances are all running around. "Frances, mon amour, you have a visited. All the way from France."

"Uncle Laf!" Frances shouts and runs over to Laf and I, she jumps into Laf's arms.

"You're getting big! You're growing up so fast!" Laf says.

"I know, she really is. I wish John was here to see all of it." I frown.

"Daddy?" Frances asks, looking behind me.

"Daddy is asleep baby." I say.

Frances giggles, "No, silly mommy! Daddy's right there!" She points and runs behind me.

I turn around, and sure enough, there stand John Laurens. Alive, and awake.

"John!" I shout and run over to him. I catch him in an the embrace that lasts forever. "I missed you so much!"

"I... Missed you too. But I just have one question." John says.

I missed his voice

"Yes, mon amour?" I look up at him.

"Who are you?"