Onze

Dearest brother,

My first day training was eventful. They sent me little girls when I need men. I fought hand to hand combat with one of the cadets, and kicked his ass. I think I earned their respect.

How's France? To be honest, I miss France a lot. I don't know if I could step foot on French soil without feeling the pain of loosing mother and father. I miss them a lot.

How are things with Adrianne? I heard you're expecting your first child! I'm going to be an aunt! If it's a girl, will you name her Antoinette? I'm kidding. Unless you'd like to, which I would be honored.... Kidding again.

I'm afraid I must get back to my duties, I hope see you soon,

Au revoir, cher frère,

Toni Laurens

I leave the letter on the desk to allow the ink to dry, and go off to train the recruits.

"Are you alright, Lieutenant Laurens ma'am? You don't look too good." One of the cadets asks, a concerned look on his face.

"I'm perfectly fine, cadet. Thank you for your concern, but I'm alright." I smile at him and he nods, "Now, today I'm going to teach you how to properly load and hold your musket."

...

"How's training going?" John asks, kissing my cheek as I enter our tent.

"Better, they're learning and are all doing a lot better than they were a few weeks ago." I sigh and lay down on the small bed.  John blows out the candle that illuminates the tent, and makes his way over to the bed. He lays down next to me and wraps his arms around me. I scoot closer to John and bury my face in his chest, inhaling his sweet scent.

"Goodnight, angel." John whispers.

"Goodnight, mon amour." I whisper back. John plants a kiss on my head and pulls me even closer to him. My eyelids become heavy and I drift off into a peaceful sleep.

...le next day...

I receive a letter from Peggy. In it, held a handkerchief that she had stitched John's initials and birthday in. It was really sweet of her to make for me, and I keep it in my uniform pocket.

The letter read,

"Dearest Antoinette,

I know you don't like being called by your full name so that's why I did it.

It's so boring without you here. I'm so close to joining the revolution just to see you. Actually I'm not going to do that. I'd miss home to much. I don't know how you do it. Anyways, I sewed this handkerchief for you, because you and John are cute, and I thought you'd like to have something with his name and birthday on it. I don't really know I just thought it would be sweet. I hope you like it. I made John one too, I sent him a letter with it inside. Let me know if he likes his. Also let me know if you like yours. I pricked my fingers so many times, Toni. Angelica took the needle and thread away for a week because she didn't want me to bleed out.

Have you and John discussed children? I want to be an aunt and Eliza won't tell me anything!

Your best friend,
Margarita Schuyler"

John and I having children. I never thought of that. We've never talked about having children before. Do I want children. Well, yeah I guess I do. But does John want children? He'd make the perfect father.

...wow another time skip...

I've missed my monthly by three weeks, and I finally know why.

"John, we need to talk." I say, John walks over to me and sits next to me.

He takes my hands in his, "What about, angel?"

"We're gonna be parents."

**********

For those of you who don't speak baguette (French)
au revoir cher frère means, "goodbye dearest brother"
And mon amour means, "my love"