Vingt Sept

My head snaps up. 

"What?" 

"She's awake." The doctor says. 

I sit in shock. 

She's awake. She's awake. She's awake. 

"Fuck fuck fuck fuck!" I mutter to myself as I pace around the room. Her parents rush to the room she's in. "Mom..."

"Yes, honey?" Mom says quietly, patting the spot next to her, wanting me to sit down. 

"What if she hates me.." I whisper. 

"Oh Philip, honey... She won't hate you. She risked her life for you.. Clearly she cares about you very much." 

"Mom... I love her.." 

Out of the corner of my eye I see my mother's lips curl into a smile. My father sits asleep next to her. He hasn't slept in days...

"I know you do, Philip. You've always loved her. You told her you would marry her when you two were little. You've always loved her, my son." 

I smile as I remember all the memories I've had with her. 

*Flashback*

Frances and I chase each other around the garden. She giggles as I tackle her to the floor. 

"I love you Philip!" 

"I love you too Frances!" I smile at her and my heart starts feeling funny, and my tummy feels like there's a million butterflies in it. 

"I miss my mommy and daddy..." Frances sighs. 

I hug her, "It's alright Frances. Your mother and father will wake up.. I know they've been sleeping for a long long time but they'll wake up," I smile at her, "When your father wakes up, I'm going to ask him if I can court you, and maybe we can get married!" 

Frances giggles, "Philip we're still so young!" 

"I know, I know, but when we're older! We'll surly get married! I-If your father allows it." 

*flashback over*

A tear runs down my cheek, "Mother, do you think she loves me?" 

"Of course she does Philip. Antoinette and I have spoken about it, a lot. You two have been inseparable since the day you met. Frances talks about you so much to Antoinette. She loves you, no doubt about that.." 

"Mr Laurens told me to treat her well... And that if I hurt her it would be the biggest mistake I'll ever make.." 

"My father was not happy about me choosing to love a man without a penny to his name, but my father knew I loved him. Mr Laurens knows you love his daughter, and he knows she loves you. Just talk to him once this is all settled, once Frances is fully healed. Let your heart do the talking." 

"Thank you mother." I kiss her cheek and she smiles at me. 

"Of course, my son."

"Mr Hamilton," The doctor calls.

My father jumps up out of his sleep, "Yes?" 

"Philip Hamilton." The doctor says. 

"That's me, sir." I say. 

"Miss Laurens has requested to see you."

"Good luck, my son." Mother whispers as I stand up. 

The doctor leads me to the room Frances is in. Her parents sit at her bedside.