Chapter 5

P looked at the Bible sitting in her lap. She felt a numb sadness in her stomach- similar to when she had been at her own father's funeral. It had been 3 days since the Chamberlain had announced the death of Prince Phillip, and P and Bobby had flown in for the State Funeral. It was heart breaking that they had been planning on attending the Princess's wedding in the same church just a few weeks later.

Bobby's hand reached for hers and she took it. Her husband was unbelievably stressed, he had woken her up countless times with his tossing and turning the night before. The funeral was a short break from the intense meetings and conferences he was in, trying to come up with a solution to the impending war. Bobby had made it clear he wanted to lose as few American lives as possible. P knew the Bobby was aware coming into office that he may have to deal with a war, but it felt unreal that it was actually happening.

"Look," someone whispered from behind P. She looked up and saw Princess Poppy kneeling at her father's casket, praying with her hands pressed together. Similarly to P, Poppy was dressed in all black, and a small fascination hat with a black veil shielded her tear-streaked face.

Poppy's fiancée Fritz appeared next to her and pulled her to her feet, consoling the Princess as they walked back to their seats in the front row of Westminster Abbey.

"This is so sad," P whispered to Bobby.

He nodded and pressed his lips together. "She's so young."

On the flight to England on Air Force One, P had heard Bobby discussing with his brother Mike, the Secretary of Defense, what would happen to the United Kingdom with the heir apparent dead. Queen Charlotte was in her late 80s, her days numbered. The old woman hadn't been able to walk, being pushed in a wheel chair by her other son. Princess Poppy was so young and inexperienced, it worried Bobby that she wouldn't be able to handle the position of Queen. Though the Royal Family had little to do with the decision-making in the United Kingdom's politics, they were crucial to public support. Poppy would have to mature under the scrutiny of the public all while functioning as Queen.

The coffin was picked up by the pallbearers and the guests began to file down the isle. Before stepping out into the cold January air, P pulled her black wool coat over her black dress and held her clutch tightly in her hands. The casket was put onto a horse drawn carriage outside of the Abbey. P was taken aback by the amount of people lining the streets, craning their necks of a view of the procession. The public was sobbing and the press were snapping photos, probably ecstatic to have the valuable images of important officials at the Prince's funeral.

The Royal Family had gathered nearest to the carriage, which slowly began moving. The streets had been plowed of snow and blocked off to keep the people from swarming the procession. P walked slowly next to Bobby and the Presidents and First Ladies of France and Germany.

After a long journey to Paddington, the group arrived at the train station, where they would all travel, along with the coffin, to Windsor for the Prince's burial. P and Bobby boarded the train together, both happy to be out of the cold wind. She shrugged off her coat and settled on one of the comfortable couches. Down the car, Poppy was sobbing into her uncle's shoulder. Fritz was helping himself to a danish from the refreshments cart, seemingly out of character for someone whose fiancée's father had just died.

"I just- I just need to be alone," P heard Poppy cry. The Princess stood and walked from the car, slamming the door closed behind her. P immediately stood and walked quickly behind her, excusing herself as she bumped a few legs on her way.

She pushed open a door, revealing a kitchen car. Shiny rows of stainless steel counters and appliances circled the car, and the hanging pots and pans shook slightly as the train bounced on the tracks. The sounds of quiet sobs led her to Poppy, sitting on the ground against the counters.