Chapter 16

"Mommy, will you carry me?" Ben asked.

P shook her head. "You're a big boy, why don't you walk? You can hold my hand."

Ben smiled up at his mother with eyes almost identical to Bobby's and held out his little hand. P took it in hers and followed Manon and Mr. George down the residence's staircase to the first floor of the White House.

"We are going to say hi to some of the people who come to see the house," P explained to her children. "It's a surprise, and they will be very happy to see you."

"Why do they like us, Mommy?" Manon questioned. P's daughter was gripping Mr. Anderson's hand tightly. She had grown especially close to her agent, just as Ben had with Mr. Brown.

"Because Daddy's the President, and he leads our country and we live in 'America's House,' so everyone in America wants to know about you."

Manon and Ben brushed off P's explanation and peered at a wooden door that led to the public hallway. "I hear voices," Ben whispered.

"The people are out there. Remember, smile and say hi to everyone. They will want to take pictures and shake you hand," P warned. She always hoped her children would remain in good behavior when they were in the public's eye.

"Pearl, Peony, and Pride going public," Mr. George said into his ear piece.

The door opened, and P and her children were exposed. P took both of their hands and was followed by Mr. George, Mr. Anderson, and Mr. Brown.

"Look!" someone gasped. The crowds that were funneling through the roped-off walkway stopped and were in awe.

"Hello everyone," P greeted with a smile. "Manon, Ben, and I wanted to stop down for a minute to see all of the visitors."

The tourists seemed elated. P let go of Manon and Bens' hands and urged them forward. Ben wandered down the row, smiling and waving to the people. Manon, the more reserved child, stuck by P's side and nodded politely to the visitors.

"I have all the dresses you have, Mrs. Conoroy," a young woman gushed, gripping P's hand tightly.

"Do you? I can hardly believe people want to dress like me," P laughed.

"We do!" the girl insisted. "You're my idol!"

P felt her cheeks flush. "That's so kind, thank you."

Loud applause turned P's attention from the young woman. She turned to see her son doing his best attempt at a cartwheel across the carpet. The visitors looked absolutely delighted. Ben was a natural entertainer and wasn't at all shy. P was glad he was able to distract the visitors from the newly announced war.

"Ben is aspiring to be on the US Olympic Gymnastics team," P joked. The crowd laughed even more, and cameras flashed. "The children and I have to leave now, it was nice meeting you all!"