Chapter 18

"Mrs. Conoroy are you ready?" Liza's insistent voice called through the door.

"Yes!" P snapped. She threw open the door to her and Bobby's hotel suite and turned her back to her Chief of Staff. "Can you zip my dress?"

Liza sniffed as she quickly shot the zipper up the back of P's white, form fitting, wrap dress. P clipped a five strand necklace of pearls around her neck and slipped her feet into pink pointed toe heels. "Grab my coat, please!" P called to Liza as she rushed down the hall of the hotel.

"P! You look beautiful!" Jan said as she emerged from the suite she was staying in with Michael.

"So do you!" P embraced her sister in law. "The boys downstairs?"

"I'm sure. Michael is so honored that Bobby invited him."

P smiled. "They all wanted Michael there, not just Bobby. He's a veteran and he's the Secretary of Defense, the perfect person to open a veteran's hospital."

"The biggest one in the country," Jan added with a proud smile.

The two women were escorted in the hotel elevator to the basement, where they met their husbands and a gaggle of Secret Service agents in the kitchen. They were lead up a small ramp and out a back door to the car they would be driving around LA. The usual presidential motorcade was being worked on, so they would be traveling in a smaller and simpler Cadillac limousine.

"Michael, have you been practicing cutting ribbons?" P joked, sliding into the car next to Bobby.

"Just ask Jan, I haven't let the kids come into my office for weeks, I've been focusing on my ribbon-cutting technique."

P smiled softly and pulled her pale pink coat on as the car took off on it's secured route to the new hospital.

"Are they taking the top off for our drive back, at least?" Jan asked, motioning to the roof of the car.

"I think so, after the ribbon cutting we are just doing a little parade route to the luncheon," P said distractedly. "The Secret Service isn't too happy, but they are surrounding the car when the top's off."

After a short car ride, the couples were stopped in front of the new hospital. A large stage had been set up outside the front door, and a massive crowd had gathered on the LA street. P loved California, the state had been huge in supporting Bobby's election.

P followed Bobby and Michael up the steps to the stage, Jan at her side. The women stood back while Bobby and Michael gave brief speeches. P smiled and nodded to those that waved to her as her husband and brother in law spoke. There was a large cardboard cut out of her face being held up about 25 people deep into the crowd. She whispered for Jan to look and pointed, and the women laughed. The press cameras lined up on the stage flashed, capturing the moment.

P watched as agents worked to take the top off of the limousine to the side of the stage. She liked being able to see the people unobstructed- the thick tinted glass of the usual car made it nearly impossible to see them.