Chapter 20

"My fellow citizens, I am able to confirm to you this evening that a joint military operation by America and Great Britain has resulted in the death of Socialist leader Abir Mohammed and many of his followers. Not only has the Middle East been freed of such a dominant, unfair ruler; President Krupin of Russia has also withdrawn from the war in the Middle East."

P looked away from her husband for a moment to smile at Nannie, who stood at her side next to Ben. The family had gathered in the Oval Office to watch the Presidential Address to the nation. A news crew was set up in front of Bobby's desk to capture the speech- the first official report that Mohammed had been killed and that Krupin had surrendered.

"A nation torn by grief has been united today by the knowledge that the democratic system remains superior to a Socialist regime. My family and I are able to hold on to the fact that my brother did not die in vain, his life's work has resulted in the liberation of millions from a suppressing leader."

P's heart ached when she thought of Michael- and she also knew that Bobby didn't believe what he said one bit. He felt responsible for Michael's death, and she wasn't sure if he would ever be the same again.

---

"I want to find something I can donate for her exhibition," P insisted to Liza.

"I'll set you up an appointment with someone who can help you," Liza said with a small nod.

"Thank you," P sighed, leaning back in her desk chair. "Maybe we could send her the dress Jacqueline Kennedy wore when she met Queen Elizabeth, I know she has the Queen's dress," she threw in as an after thought.

"I'll find someone who you can talk to," Liza repeated before leaving P's office.

P rolled her eyes. Liza was so rude sometimes, she wished her Chief of Staff could be a little more fun and easy going.

P's office phone rang. She picked it up quickly. "Hello?"

"Mrs. Conoroy, I have the Secretary of State here to see you."

P's stomach dropped. "He doesn't have an appointment."

"I know, he says it's urgent. Your children won't be down for about ten minutes to eat lunch with you." P's secretary seemed to notice the First Lady's hesitation. "I can send him away if you want."

"It's fine," P sighed. "Send him back."

A few moments later Bill Riley stalked into P's office and sat down on the chair in front of her desk.

"Mr. Riley," she greeted.

"Mrs. Conoroy." It was the first time Bill had ever called her that.

"What can I help you with?"

"I'm sorry about your brother in law, I never told you directly."