Incident

Incident

The courtyard was decorated with a circular lawn bordered by a brown sandstone path.

"This way." Aramis led the way. D'Artagnan was walking beside Constance, repeatedly looking over his shoulder.

"We aren't in any danger here, are we?" she asked, worried by his tension.

"No, no, but it never hurts to be prepared for anything," D'Artagnan replied, smiling at her.

Aramis led the women through an English garden and a small labyrinth of hedges, ending up at a lake.

"Oh, this really is a beautiful place for a picnic. Won't you join us, we brought too much for just the two of us anyway," Anne asked, looking at the two men.

"With pleasure. Why don't you go ahead and unpack, while we take a quick look around to make sure everything is secure." Aramis put down the picnic basket and headed in the direction of the pavilion, while D'Artagnan went to check on the woods. Constance and Anne busied themselves spreading a large checkered blanket on the ground and unpacking plates, cutlery and a variety of boxes containing baguettes, a variety of salads, sandwiches, fruit and desserts. Like Anne had said, far too much for just the two of them.

Constance smiled.

"What are you grinning at?" Anne asked.

"Oh, it's just that you're not in the habit of inviting a man to lunch. At least I have never seen you do it before."

Anne squirmed uncomfortably. "Well, you know I don't like it when food go to waste and people go hungry...."

"Yes, I know," Constance laughed. Anne couldn't help but laugh as well.

-----

D'Artagnan went as far as the forest and looked along the perimeter. Finding nothing out of the ordinary, he decided to go a few steps further, but the only thing he saw was a deer on the run. Satisfied that all was in order, he headed back to the lake.

-----

Aramis arrived at the pavilion. He walked around it first and then took a look inside, finding nothing but a few clumps of earth. Equally satisfied, he headed back in the same direction as his friend.

----

Anne and Constance had already arranged everything and were pouring drinks into their glasses. The four of them relaxed and took the opportunity to get to know each other. D'Artagnan and Constance appeared to quite like each other and Anne was glad, that her friend had finally found someone who made a good impression. She knew how unhappy Constance was in her marriage. Aramis, however, was a mystery to her. He was polite and kept smiling at her when the other two weren't looking, but he never spoke directly to her. He just stared at her as if she were a work of art he couldn't keep his eyes off of.

"How do you like Chateau Fontainbleau? Isn't it a wonderful place for a holiday?" D'Artagnan looked at the two women.

"Well, it really is a very romantic castle, very fitting for France and for my cousin with all his pomp. But we're not just here for a holiday."

"But you do have to relax some time, don't you?" Aramis spoke directly to Anne.

"I find it very relaxing when I can help people," Anne answered, smiling at him. Their eyes held contact for quite a while and Constance noted the tension.

"I think it's getting a little cold."

"Yes, the temperature does seem to have gone down somewhat, I think we should pack up again. I need to prepare something for the children's home, too."