The evening

The drive back went by without any problems. When they arrived at the chateau, Louis was already waiting for them.

"Anne, you're back, how nice! How did it go?"

"I need to get more details and do some calculations, but I think you are right, your accountant is embezzling funds. I'll take care of it. Constance, what was it we needed?"

"If you could provide us with a letter of authorization, that would get us one step further with the bank, and then I can organize the rest," Constance explained.

"Of course, I'll have my assistant draw it up immediately."

Captain Treville hurried over to them. "Monsieur, if you could please go back inside, it's not exactly safe out here."

"Yes, yes..." Slightly confused, Louis let Treville usher him back inside.

Aramis and D'Artagnan exchanged a glance. "Accompany the women upstairs and check the rooms again. There has been another intruder on the grounds," Athos said in a low voice.

"Okay. Mademoiselle, if you would please follow me," Aramis answered, with an inviting gesture to Anne.

"Stay behind me," D'Artagnan said, staying close to Constance.

Both women were worried. Aramis and D'Artagnan went ahead slowly, checking every nook and cranny but found no one hiding behind the heavy brocade drapes. At the foot of the stairs, the group split up. D'Artagnan stayed with Constance, while Aramis accompanied her cousin.

***********************************

"I wonder why we're still in danger. Won't the intruder be caught soon?" Constance looked at D'Artagnan questioningly.

He had just finished checking the room and now turned to the beautiful woman in front of him.

"These attackers often work alone, well-organized by someone hiding in the background. We take out one and another one takes his place. This makes it hard to catch them all.. That's why we're here to protect you." He took her hand. "Don't be afraid. If you want, I can stay outside your door tonight, always within earshot. You'll be perfectly safe," he reassured her, looking deep into her eyes.

Constance could not take her eyes off him. Slowly, he came a step closer, until she could feel his breath on her face. She was just about to lean into him when a lanky man appeared around the corner.

"Ah, Madame Bonancieux, I'm glad I found you. Louis asked me to let you know that unfortunately the letter you requested will only be ready tomorrow afternoon." D'Artagnan quickly dropped Constance's hand and tried to get a respectable distance between them. Surprised by the sudden appearance of another person, Constance blushed slightly.

"That's not optimal, but it can't be helped. I assume you are Louis' assistant?" After her initial surprise, Constance was now all business again.

"That is correct, Madame. Is there anything else I can do for you?" The question sounded courteous enough, but to D'Artagnan's taste its tone seemed a little too forward. He gave the man a stern look, hoping to make Constance's higher position clear.

Constance herself was by now used to attitudes like this from men and simply ignored it. "Yes, actually there is. Anne would like to have all documents of the accountant Rochefort delivered to the chateau. Please see to it," she said, giving the man a friendly smile. D'Artagnan admired her professional attitude, but he decided to have another word with the assistant soon. That was no way to speak to a guest of the king.

"I will take care of it immediately," the assistant said, before he turned around and marched back the way he had come. Now D'Artagnan and Constance were alone again....and suddenly unsure of what to do with themselves. "I need to get back to the guardroom," D'Artagnan said. "Can I leave you alone or do you still need me?"