Gallery

Chapter 19: The Gallery

Anne walked up to the car, where Athos and Aramis were already waiting for her. As usual, Aramis held open the door for her and Anne noticed how sinfully handsome he looked once again in slightly faded blue jeans and a navy blue t-shirt, with a matching watch and a blue leather bracelet. Casual blue boatshoes and a beige jacket completed the outfit.

"Thank you for taking the time," Anne said, looking at Athos

"Thank you for taking the time," Anne said, looking at Athos. "I know it must be incredibly long for you. I heard you even have to work nightshifts. I'll make it brief."

Athos just nodded. "Madame, the excursions with you are always enjoyable, and due to the current situation we always have to use a two man team."

Anne got into the car and Aramis closed the door for her. Before they got into the front of the car, he turned to Athos. "D'Artagnan could have taken over, or Porthos. Treville would have understood. It would have been quieter at the chateau today."

Athos opened his door. "The same goes for you." Both men got into the car and drove into the city of Fontainebleau.

The gallery was in the western part of Fontainebleau, near the Parc du bel Ebat, two streets from the Rue de la République.

"It's beautiful here," Anne said, looking dreamily out of the window.

"I think you should explore the town with Constance sometime," Aramis suggested

"I think you should explore the town with Constance sometime," Aramis suggested. Anne made a mental note to pay more attention to the vacation side of her stay.

The car stopped in front of an old building. "Madame, please wait in the car," Athos said, turning slightly towards Anne. "I will take a look around and give Aramis a sign if everything is okay. We haven't been here before, so we shouldn't take any risks." Both men turned on their walkie-talkies.

While Aramis stayed in the car with Anne, Athos went into the building. What he saw inside, made him speechless. As old and deteriorated as it looked from the outside, the inside was a whole different matter. The original structure was still visible, but the wood paneling had been stripped and freshly sealed. The open-beam ceiling looked old, but in very good condition. He found himself in a large room with a number of pillars supporting the high ceiling. A long, dark-paneled bar stretched along one wall and a couple of long tables with chairs filled the middle of the room.