Mourning

Chapter 21: Mourning

Anne awoke in her bed in Chateau Fontainebleau and opened her eyes. Turning her head, she looked out of the window at a cloudy sky with not a single ray of sunshine. Very fitting, she thought. She flipped back the covers and got out of bed, wrapping her bathrobe around her shoulders. She didn't really feel like breakfast, but she realized that she should try to eat at least a little. It was already rather late in the morning and she should get ready for the funeral service. After putting on a little makeup, she walked over to her wardrobe for the outfit Constance had organized for today; a black skirt with white ornaments, a black turtleneck body with long sleeves, puffed at the shoulders and a casual black suede jacket, with black earrings, a matching necklace and black ankle boots as the finishing touches.

Just as Anne walked into the sitting room, a servant entered

Just as Anne walked into the sitting room, a servant entered. "Madame, your assistant requested to bring you some breakfast," he said, placing a pot of coffee and a small bowl with fruits and pastries on a small table, before he retreated silently. Anne took out her cellphone and sent a text message to Constance, thanking her for always being so considerate.

Message sent, she sat down at the table and poured herself a cup of coffee. A few sips immediately made her feel better, so she decided to try the pastries as well. She opened the newspaper and started to skim through it, although she didn't really read anything, just looking for a diversion.

************************************************

Constance was glad that her and Anne's outfits had arrived in time. It had all been very short notice, so she had had to improvise. After a rather short night, she was still in bed. As nice as the night had been, this day would not be as pleasant for all concerned. Constance was thinking most of all of D'Artagnan. Today was the funeral of his colleague and he was one of the pallbearers. Constance sighed. She did not like attending such occasions and did so this time only for Anne and D'Artagnan's sake. She knew that it had to be especially difficult for Anne, since her friend always worried.

Constance was slipping into a black dress with a silver flower print, when her cellphone lighted up with a text message from Anne, thanking her for breakfast. She was relieved to know that her friend had managed to eat something. Sitting on the bed, she put on black overknee boots. A hat would hide the fact that she was having something of a bad hair day. After putting on earrings and a string of pearls, she put a few essentials into a black clutch and checked her watch. Half an hour before the funeral service would start. She grabbed a jacket and left her apartment.

 She grabbed a jacket and left her apartment