A Day off

The next morning, the two women had breakfast in Anne's salon again. The lavish spread consisted of coffee and orange juice, a large basket containing fresh rolls and an assortment of bread, various marmalades and jams, as well as a selection of cold cuts and cheeses, fresh fruit, muesli and joghurt.

Constance chose some fruit, muesli and joghurt, while anne took one of the rolls.

"So, what is your plan for today?" Anne asked.

"I want to have a look around the chateau. All those remarkable frescoes, paintings and works of art...And the architecture itself is like a dream. Do you want to come with me?"

"Louis has made quite a good choice, but I have seen most of it already. I think I'll take advantage of the nice weather, sit in the garden and do some work for the children's home."

Before Constance could say anything, Anne continued. "No, you look around, and take all the time you want. I'll be fine, you know I like doing this kind of work."

"Well, if you say so. But this afternoon, you'll let me help you sort through the documents?" Constance asked

"Of course".

Both women finished their breakfast and then went their separate ways. Constance went back to her room and took a last look at her outfit in the mirror. She wore her new favourite skirt, which fit tight at the waist and flared out towards the hemline. The elastic waistband was striped in cream and pink, the skirt itself was turquoise with a broad stripe of pink at the hemline and decorated with various ice cream cones. She had paired the skirt with a white long-sleeved shirt with a deep v-neckline and cutouts at the sides and back. Simple white, roman-style sandals and colourful dangling earrings completed the look. Her hair was loose and held back from her face with a pair of light pink sunglasses. Since the interior of the chateau could be a little chilly, she decided to grab a long cardigan as well for her "sightseeing tour".

****************************************

Anne quickly put all the things she would need into a bag – her laptop and cellphone, a pen and her notebook -, before she pulled the bell to summon one of the servants. After a glance out of the window at the bright sun and cloudless blue sky she decided not to take a jacket with her, since the days had become quite warm.

She wore a simple yellow A-line dress with colourful flowers embroidered around the neckline and along the hemline, and had combined it with black strappy sandals. Simple earrings in a geometric design, and a hint of makeup and eyeshadow completed her look for the day. She was just putting on a large sunhat, when there was a knock at the door.

"Come in!"

"You rang, madame?"

"Yes, thank you. I would like to work in the garden today. Could you bring me some refreshments?"

"Yes, of course, and if I may make a suggestion, I recommend the Grand Paterre. A few chairs and tables have already been set up there."

"Oh, thank you, then I will go there," Anne said.

"Very good. I'll bring the refreshments out to you." The servant took a bow and left.

Anne grabbed her bag and a pair of sunglasses and headed for the garden.

Outside, the birds were singing and Anne was glad she had chosen to work outdoors today. Although it was still early and the sun still low in the sky, it was already pleasantly warm and she was glad she had decided on a light, summerly outfit. She crossed the Prince's Court and turned left towards the Grand Paterre. This was one of the larger parts of the gardens, with broad paths, green lawns and hedges. To the right was a large lake. On a paved area, garden chairs and tables had been set up. Anne sat down at one of the large tables and opened her laptop.