Innocent?

Chapter 20 – Innocent?

Last time in chapter 19: In the afternoon, Aramis, Porthos and Athos were in the guard room, when one of the applicants hurried into the room. "We're needed in town. There's been a break-in."

The three men stood up quickly. "Do we have any information?" Athos asked the applicant.

"I...." The man was clearly intimidated by Athos' forceful behavior. Aramis intervened. "Do you know who reported it?"

"It was a Monsieur Gauthier. He reported a break-in at his boulangerie."

Porthos frowned. "And why were we called? Do we look like the Police Municipale?"

Athos just looked at him. He knew his friend and was getting tired of having to remind him that they had duties outside the chateau as well.

"Porthos, we're glad to be of service to the people of Fontainebleau and we are in some cases responsible for their protection," he said, throwing Porthos his bag.

D'Artagnan turned to the messenger again. "Where do we need to go?"

"To the Rue de la Haute Bercelle."

«  Good, you can go back to your post now," he said, sending the man off again

« Good, you can go back to your post now," he said, sending the man off again. Athos turned to the other men. "We'll check out the incident at the boulangerie and request personnel as needed. This afternoon we'll discuss the current security situation with Treville." They all knew that Athos was referring most of all to the information gathered during their break-in at the club.

*******************************************

Anne and Constance sat in the garden. Constance was typing something on her cellphone, while Anne just enjoyed the May sunshine.

"Louis' assistant came by today. There will be a funeral service for the fallen guard. It's very important to Louis that everyone will be there. We are invited, too," Constance said. Anne nodded. "Such a tragedy. Did he have any family?" she asked. Constance took off her sunglasses. "I don't know, but D'Artagnan told me that your cousin takes good care of the families of his employees." Anne was relieved, although she had not expected anything else. "That is good. After all, the man died protecting us and everyone else in the chateau. I don't want to think about it."

Constance knew that it always affected her friend deeply when someone was hurt because of her. "I think with the funeral service we can honor him."

"You're right. Did you send for suitable outfits for us? We don't usually pack for something like this."

Constance smiled mildly. "Do we know each other?" Both women laughed.

*****************************************

The four friends hurried down the large entrance staircase. "Porthos, please get the car." Athos contacted Treville to let him know that they would be away from the chateau. However, since the incident had taken place in the middle of Fontainebleau, so they could be back within ten minutes if necessary.