Chapter 1

Skylar's P.O.V

I feel a pain on my cheek and I see stars. It's okay, I'm used to it. He does this every day. My stepfather grabs my hair, and tugs me back to my room. He throws me onto the floor and slams the door.

"Ow," I say, rubbing my head. I pull myself up and walk to the bathroom. The bruises have already started to form. I rub my red cheek where he struck me. I sigh and throw myself on the bed.

~~~~

I wake up the next morning and stumble out of bed. I walk over to the mirror and put on a coat of eye liner. People at school make fun of me for my style, and when they saw cuts on me they knew I sometimes hurt myself. I throw on my blue skinny jeans with rips and a black and white striped shirt. I run a quick comb threw my hair. I grab my messenger bag and went downstairs.

"Ugly whore!" My stepfather yells. I say nothing and head out. I walk to school and throw my stuff in my locker.

"Hey there Skylar" says Grace. She is the plastic barbie 'I rule the school' kind of girl.

"Hi," I reply. I start walking to class, tiredness showing in the way my boots drag on the floor.

"Get your ass back here!" She yells and runs after me. She grabs me and looks at me. "You do NOT walk away from me!" She yells in my face.

"You do NOT control me!" I spit at her, pulling my hand away. I walk to class and feel her glaring at me, all the way down the hall.

~~~~

I hear the bell. 'It's over!' I think to myself and run out into the hall. I walk home and put my stuff up. I have a long time before Jared gets home from work for my daily beating. I grab a book and start to listen to Helena by My Chemical Romance. I love them and all their music. I must have not payed attention to time because the next thing I know I hear Jared storming up the stairs. He bursts in and grabs me by my leg. He drags me to his room and throws me onto the floor. I wince in pain and I see Jared grab his belt. I look up and see his arm raised above me. I shut my eyes and he whips my legs with is belt. I wince and he lifts my shirt up. I keep my eyes shut and he whips my back, over and over. I feel a knife cut into my side. I feel tears drip down my face.