A Coffee Cup

Vio's Point of View

It was one winter morning when the sign above the establishment appeared to have been blown away by the merciless gusts of January. It was barely even noticeable that the shop was a café anymore. But regulars will always know, deep in their veins of coffee blood, where this wonderful sanctuary of peace and tranquility is situated. One of those regulars is me, Violet, I know I know...it sounds like a girly name, so what? There are guys named Jessie and nobody seems to care.

The very few people in this world that are close to me bestowed the nickname of Vio, as if that makes any difference. Personally....I like it. It has some sort of warm feeling to it, like a warm mocha, or simple green tea. Ok I should probably get in there already, my hands are freezing!!

As always, there are barely any noisy or trouble some citizens at such an early hour. When most are asleep. When the adorable bartender is working a night shift. Wait, did I say adorable?! I-I did not mean it like that, I don't like him in that way. What people call the 'like like'. You know what? Just forget it, I'm going to order my coffee, and go to the library as soon as it opens, which is around 5 AM.

"Hya there Vio! Wait, don't tell me! I want to guess your order this time."

I chuckle a little. "Hi, Red. Oh, there is no harm in that. I always order the same beverage at this time of day." Said I, tucking my hands into the soft fabric of my pockets.

The shorter one yawned, it was 3:55 in the morning after all. I don't know how he has the energy to work late at night, study during the day, and not get any dark circles under his eyes. It's a miracle, actually.

"It's super easy! It's um...it's....ummmmm...." he thinks for a while, looking down while rubbing his chin. He kept humming to himself, and then it happened. "Zzzzz...."

"....Uh, Red? Reeed?"

I took out a hand from one of the pockets and waved it in front of Red's wide open eyes. Don't worry, this happens all the time. It's his way of taking a nap without anybody noticing. After about five minutes, another person entered the coffee shop. That's when I sigh, knowing that Red has to wake up. So, I grabbed a small cup from the counter, slightly filled it with water in the soda fountain, calmly walked back, and splashed his face with water.

"Wa-Whoa!! Midnight Black Mocha coming up!!!"

Instantly, he proceeded to make my coffee. Huh...He actually remembered which drink it was, despite being asleep with his eyes open for a few minutes. He works almost as fast as the speed of sound, his hands move swiftly like when bees pollinate flowers, and his face looked focused, even with that joyful smile of his.

"All done! Here you go, Vio. And thanks for waking me up haha."

He bashfully scratched the back of his head, then went ahead and served the other person that entered. I sat down on a small table, one with only two chairs, with my freshly brewed coffee by the best barista in town. The delicious, sweet smell it emitted was enough to make me take a sip no matter how hot it was. I took out the book I'm supposed to return today, of course I am going to borrow it again. I need to read it a seventh time!

After the café had no more customers to serve, Red sat across me. He smelled of every coffee and tea he had to make for the past half hour, it's not bad at all.

"Are you still reading that? I see you with the book almost every day since I first recommended for to you! Is it that good?" He smiled.

"Why yes, yes it is. I am utterly obsessed with it. It's your fault I'm doomed to be chained to this valuable piece of literature."

Red laughed. "Well sorry! I overheard some classy-looking people mention it, and the only thing I had in mind was you."

"Oh Red, anything that has to do with books remind you of me." I playfully roll my eyes.

Red chuckled yet again, and rested his chin on a hand. Watching me sip on the mocha, and flip the pages of the book. There was an awkward silence.

"Do you like pet shows? There's going to be one at the park this Thursday, are you available?"

"Mmm....I should ask Shadow if he could give me a ride there, or come with us if we want to."

"Yay!! I can't wait!" He said joyfully. Then, a new customer came in. "Hold up, I got this."

When I got a closer look, it turns out that the person that just entered was his boyfriend. Yes, yes, he's dating someone. Everyone knows him as Blue, and he is the lead in our university's baseball team. The guy can swing a bat as if it weighed as much as a tail feather. Not only that, but he can run faster than a cheetah, at least that's how I visualize it.

Siiigh. As long as he makes Red happy...Wait, no, what am I thinking?! I'm with Shadow! My little rock-loving punk.

I take the last sip of my coffee before tossing the cup on the trash bin and walking out the shop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note:

Helloo! I attempted to make a new fanfic as:
a) Modern Day AU
b) First Person View
c) Older Links, around 18 to 19

I hope you get to enjoy, thank you for taking the time to read this!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~