Expectations

Red's Point of View

"Oh....Oh...You entered with THAT major?"

My mother stuttered a little, probably taken aback by the fact that I wasn't accepted into the course she and father wanted me to take: engineering.

My dad rubbed his forehead while reading my college acceptance letter. "Hmm...." He hummed deeply. I couldn't tell what was going on in his mind. "Well...son, when you start the semester, I reckon you should change majors."

I bring my hands up and cupped them on my chest, I could feel my heart ache. I glance to my side, where my big brother, Green, stood. He was looking down, not able to see our parents' eyes...nor mine. His eyes were dim, foggy, lost, unable to stand up for me in this situation. Because, he also wanted the best for me. And the best for me was to study engineering, but I was not able to enter. My standardized test results weren't good enough.

I failed them.

They're dissapointed, yet don't want to tell me directly that the major I chose as a plan C, the only one that got me into the prestigious institution, was actually the last thing they wanted for me.

Soon father stood up from the table, tossed a half-full cup of coffee in the sink, and left the dining room. My acceptance letter laid on the floor, and it was stepped on as he walked away. Green gently patted my back, pity was plastered all over him. "I'm sorry..." He said faintly, almost unable to speak, and chose to leave me with Mom.

After the two of them left, she forced a smile, and chuckled. "Ahaha...I told you your father would react like this, sweetie. Be a good boy, and change majors when the time comes. Or else you won't have a good future ahead of you. You hear me?" Her smile faltered, a scowl followed soon after. ".....I said, you HEAR me?" Her voice grew bitter.

I unwillingly let out a sob, and nod.

"SPEAK."

"....y-y-ye-yes...."

"LOUDER."

"YES!!! Yes!!! I will change!! I will do better! And I won't just score A+, I will score A++++!!! I promise!! I promise..." Another sob came out, and tears streamed down my cheeks now.

My mother's expression changed again, back to her more cheery side. "That's my Red~" she giggled. "Make your father and I proud, we believe in you."

She turned around, and picked up the letter.

"...Cooking won't get you anywhere."

Tsk tsk

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quickly, I wipe away the dropplets from my cheeks. Then, turned off the computer to not stare at the picture any longer.

It was a photograph of my highschool graduation ceremony, where all of my family, Father, Mother, and Green, all stood together for one truly joyful recording of the happy memory. But, we didn't know it would be the last gleeful recollection we would experience as a family.

Wednesday 12th, that's what it said on the calendar. And on the clock, 10:00 AM.

Suddenly, my cellphone rang. When I read the ID number, my heart skipped a beat.

Vio's Point of View

I let out a deep sigh after finally organizing the entire apartment. Returning all of Shadow's items in their rightful places. As for his guitar, well, I took care of that. It now has a case, always hanged by the door. We both make sure to never change the spot.

That dummy...At least he apologized about the whole missing guitar situation yesterday. Turns out that the dang thing was already in his car. He can be idiotic sometimes.

I hum, relaxed. "Time to head out for my greek philosophy class today." I let out while styling my hair.

"Make sure to bring home some gyros!" Shadow wrapped his arms around me from the back for a surprise hug.

I chuckle. "There isn't any Greek food there. Even if there were, I wouldn't bring you any."

"Awwww!! Why?!"

"Because I would eat them on my way here."

He snorts and jumps onto the bed. "Aha! I see I am becoming a bad influence. Muahahaa!" He pretended to do an evil laugh, but on my opinion, he failed horribly. Which made me snort too.

"You call that a devilish laugh? You sounded more like a puppy."

"A devilishly handsome pup?" He makes a rather interesting pose on the bed. His head was resting on one hand, and the other hand was placed above his hip.

"Mmhmm. Quit goofing around, or I will be late!" I said, pulling on the coat that was below him. He rolled to the edge of his bed after I retrieved it. "Try to not make a mess, okay?"

"I won't make any promises." Shadow smirked.

I rolled my eyes, and gesture him to stand up. Later, we made it to his old-fashioned car and hit the road. About ten minutes later, he slows down by the entrance of our university to drop me off.

"Isn't that kind of stuff boring?"

"Not at all. Philosophy is anything but boring." I smiled proudly.

"Aaalright. Good luck." He said, before giving me a small peck on the lips.

I let out a small chuckle, and then exit his car. The university was crowded at this time of day, such a bummer, but nothing to worry. That is...until my eyes spotted a lonesome Red leaving through the gates, passing right by me. He didn't notice me at all.

"Er....Red?" I turn around, poking his shoulder. He became startled, but still greeted me with brightful joy.

"Vio!! Hi~! Ready for your class today?" He danced around, as if he was really happy to see me......Too happy.

"Yeah, always ready for more knowledge."

Red giggled, it sounded forced. "You sure are!" He glanced down at his wrist. "Oh! Look at the time! But...before I go...Take this. I want you to have it." He took out a small artifact from his coat's pocket, it was a ruby pendant.

I gasp, it looks way too precious. "Red! I can't possibly take that from you! It must mean a lot..."

He shook his head, and smiled. "....Take it. You will take better care of it than me anyways~"

"Forgive me, but no."

"Vio....Please. At least have it for the day, then you can return it."

I notice that his eyes were slowly, but surely, watering up. This is what real pressure looks like.

"Ughh...Alright, alright. If it makes you happy."

I give in to Red's desperate plea, and allow him to tie the necklace around my neck. It felt warm...Like a dying blaze in the middle of a blizzard. "....Thank you for the kind offer. It's beautiful." I sigh, but still give him a genuine smile.

Red hummed a cheery tune to himself. "It looks even better on you, Vio." He spoke softly, and it actually made my cheeks feel warm as well. It's been a while since I have been the slightest bit flustered by a mere compliment. He stared at me for a couple seconds, fixated on either the pendant, or my own dazed face.

Finally, he shook his head and scratched the back of his hair, a bit embarrassed. "Oh, silly me! I'm wasting too much of your precious time! Bye bye, Vio~" he waves, and after he turned, ran off into the horizon.

There is something definitely off about him. This pendant was a gift from his brother, he wore it every day...But ever since last month, he stopped.

My cellphone buzzed while I remained frozen in place, trying to understand Red's behavior. I put my hand in a pocket, and view the notification on my touchscreen.

"Anything yet?"

Blue. He must be impatient about this situation. Well....my class doesn't start until another hour or two, so I could follow Red for the time being.