Chapter 2 - Greeting

I’ve been thinking about it since childhood.

Kinoshita POV

“What gives you the right to not cheer for your teammates just because you’re not in the game?” A cute little girl told to me as I have lost interest in playing volleyball.

I still remember all those words said to me. To be honest, those were the words I was waiting for, not the expectations of others for me to practice hard and be placed in a match and play.

I was SAVED. I am really glad that someone like her told the words I was longing. I didn’t catch her name, but she did drop something I’m sure valuable to her, a handkerchief. It had a beautiful scent of lavender and lemon, a name carved, flower patterns, and the initials ‘K.H.’ sewn on.

Assuming the name embroidered was her name, I tried to search and ask around for a girl with that name. I didn’t assume that those initials stand for my name, because we didn’t know each other.

My search still continued in high school, hoping to cross paths with the girl who saved me. I think I may have found her.

She was holding the same handkerchief that the little girl dropped in grade school. She doesn’t stand out much, but has turned very beautiful. I don’t know if she remembers me, but I still know that appearance of her too well.

I wanted her to be happy

I still have her treasured handkerchief on me, well kept and washed. I discovered that the name on her handkerchief is her nickname, but the initials are still unknown. I give her a glance from time to time, unable to approach her. I know that she doesn’t remember me, but I want to talk to her.

Your POV

“What gives you the right to not cheer for your teammates just because you’re not in the game?” I remember clearly those words that I said to that poor guy who was almost crying, and is my crush. The time I met him again was the most relieved day I had.

Seeing him doing okay and having a fresh start made me happy. He had no idea who I am so I know he doesn’t remember me. I hoped that scar from the past didn’t affect him negatively. That incident also made me change, for the better.

How? I became buoyant, knowing when to speak and making friends earnestly. He made me conscious of the way I speak and behave to other people. He made me become the gentle ol’ me right now.

I wanted him to be happy

I wanted to speak to him, the same time not. I may just disturb him, so it might be better to let him off and forget about him. But the situation isn’t helping. Being a seatmate of him made me long for him more, and want to talk to him. I’m sure his close friends notice as well, as they give those necessary nods between our distance.

Destiny is sometimes an annoying peril.

“An upcoming activity is held and we need to pair you up. Your pair will be the one sitting beside you.” Since the rows are alternated by gender, it couldn’t really be helped.

“We needed to speak to each other..!” Both of you thought as you both looked at each other.

“Hello, Kinoshita-san.” You presented a usual smile. You couldn’t believe this chance and opportunity that might either end in either vain or happiness.

“Hello, (L/N)-san, looks like we’ll be partners.” He smiled as you both shook hands.

The paired activity began.

~End of Chapter 2~

(A/n): Hello readers! I really liked writing this book featuring a side character. I hope you all enjoy it!