Chapter 4 - Kinoshita Residence

The four of  you went to went out together. The other two were actually Kinoshita’s best friends. Their names are Ennoshita Chikara and Narita Kazuhito, they were the ones who skipped practices in their first year along with Kinoshita.

“Ah… Practice is finally done.. Would you guys like to get pork buns?” Narita asked with a relieved and relaxed expression, starting the conversation.

“Not today Kazu, it’s gonna get late for (Y/n).” Kinoshita replied.

“Ahh gomen.”

“Do you have a curfew, (L/n)-san?” Ennoshita asked.

“Actually, I have, but I asked for permission today since it’s school-related. Just (Y/n) is fine, Ennoshita-kun.”

“Ah, then call us by our first names as well, we’d appreciate it.” Ennoshita replies.

“Mhm..” You nodded.

“Hisashi you bastard, you better send her off after you guys finish, aight?” Ennoshita scolds.

“Sure.. geez.. you sound like a dad.” Kinoshita felt awkward.

After that, Ennoshita and Narita split off going to their homes, which made an awkward silence between the both of you.

“Ah! Um..” Kinoshita tries to start a conversation to avoid awkwardness.

“Hm? What is it?” You turn to him.

“Do I reek of sweat?” He asked out of curiosity. He’s been keeping distance just to be sure.

“Hmm.. No actually, you’re all good.” 

“Oh.. okay, we’re here.” You were welcomed at the sight of a traditional home. It had the symbol “木下 (Kinoshita)” representing their family name in the gates.

“I’m home..” Kinoshita spoke as his mother replies “Welcome home”.

“Pardon the intrusion.” You said, bowing at the same time as you see his mom. His mom looks very young, like in her 30’s. She also had a darker hair color and a kind appearance. Kinoshita has a very close resemblance to his mother.

“My, Hisashi, you didn’t tell me we were gonna have a visitor today, I didn’t even put makeup on! Oh how embarrassing!”

“Warui warui… It’s not that big of a deal anyways…” Kinoshita replies.

“You went home with your girlfriend and you expect me to look like this?!” His mom replied, quite pissed off. With her statement, you both blush extensively and began to clear up the ruckus.

“N-no Mom!! It’s not like that!” Kinoshita defended.

“Y-yeah.. We’re not couples, we’re just here for a school project! We’re just friends!” You backed him up as you may have seen him frown in the corner of your eye. Maybe it was your imagination.

“Sure suree~ just enjoy. What’s your name, Honey?” Her mom replied as she makes a comfortable atmosphere in their home.

“I’m (L/n), (Y/n). Pleased to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, (Y/n)-chan. Feel at home dear.”

“Arigatou..Urgh..”

Just as things were going well, your stomach finds the completely right time to make a loud sound. It grumbled pretty bad. You’ve been holding it for a while since their practice and it now gave out.

“Oya? Looks like someone’s starving. Great timing, dinner has just finished! Let’s eat!”

“H-hai…” You replied embarrassedly.

You all went to their dining room to eat dinner. It had a wooden small round table in the center and had cushions. You sit comfortably as Kinoshita’s mom served something that smelled really good. It was karaage, stir-fried vegetables, and rice. You also noticed that in the side Kinoshita was sitting in, there was a jar of something pickled. It was pink and thinly sliced.

“Itadakimasu” You all said as you chomped down in an informal table manner. You devoured the food in an unbelievable speed. Kinoshita and his mom were surprised that they stopped eating.

You finished right away but your stomach was still grumbling. Embarrassed, you lay your head low.

“Seconds?” His mom asked in which you nodded shyly.

“Quite the appetite huh, (Y/n)?” Hisashi smiled as you politely apologized.

“Gomen..”

“It’s okay, we’re glad you liked our food.”

As his mom went to the kitchen, you weirdly stared at what Kinoshita was eating. He paired the karaage with the pickled pink thing, same thing with the vegetables and rice. He noticed that you were staring.

“What?” He blushed as stopped in embarrassment.

“Uhhm. What’s that?” You asked, pointing to the transparent jar of pink pickles.

“Ah… this is pickled ginger! It’s my favorite, would you like some?” He offered as you politely declined. ‘Him and his weird combinations.’ You thought, while grinning silently.

You enjoyed staring at him eating his way through with his favorite condiment. His mom returned with a second portion for you and dinner ended pretty well. You thanked them both as you and Kinoshita prepare.

(A/n):

*Warui = My bad/sorry