XXVIII: Vingt-Huit

VINGT-HUIT

Jisoo held the knob, and slowly turned it. He pushed the door open silently, and walked inside.

He saw similar faces of course, but one face is unfamiliar. He looked at everyone, and saw an expression in them that didn't look so good.

He looked at Seokmin on the bed, he is sleeping. "G-Good afternoon," Jisoo greeted at them.

He saw Mrs. Lee on the couch, he looked at her, and bowed a little as to show courtesy.

She stood up, and pulled a man beside her up with her. Jisoo came to gaze at him briefly, then back at Mrs. Lee.

"Jisoo, he's Lee Daeseok," she said. "Seokmin's father," she continued. "Daeseok, Jisoo, Seokmin's boyfriend."

Jisoo looked at him, and bowed at him. He doesn't know what to respond. Should he say he's happy to finally see him?

Wait, how many months have it been since Jisoo came here? Right, nearly a year. But Jisoo just had seen him now, so where was he all this time?

He's not being a bitter future son-in-law, his point is, why did he just show up now? Now that his son is. . . on stage four already?

But who is he anyway to think of Seokmin's father lowly? Maybe he has his reasons. He remembered Seokmin once told him that his parents are on the rocks because of him as he said.

Jisoo tried to shake those thoughts out of his mind, and smiled at him. "It's nice meeting you, Mr. Lee."

He looked down at the guys who were still on their seats, their heads down. He wanted to ask them what on earth is happening and they look that gloomy.

But he didn't talk. His eyes wandered around, searching for any vacant seat, but there was none. The seats were always enough for them, having to accommodate all seven of them, however with Seokmin's father, guess he'll be left no choice but to stand.

"Ji, please just sit beside Seokmin," Seokmin's mother said.

Jisoo turned to face Seokmin, and saw there's still enough space on his bed for him. He sat there silently, not wanting to disturb his boyfriend's sleep.

He sighed, feeling everything around him so cold and strangely awkward. It felt like there is some kind of ice surrounding them that it felt so chilly.

Jisoo cleared his throat, and just looked at Seokmin. He heaved in a sigh. Whenever he's here, he never feels out of place for everyone is always talking to him, but now with this deafening silence and terrible peace, he feels like a fish pulled out from water; unable to breathe properly.

Seungkwan cleared his throat too, and stood up. "Ah, my throat feels itchy and dry. Jisoo hyung, can you come with me? I need to fetch some water," he said.

Jisoo smiled, and nodded. He stood up, and waited for Seungkwan as he walked towards him, then went out together after telling everyone they'll just be out for a minute.

"Thank you so much, Kwan, I feel like suffocating inside," Jisoo said, and chuckled.

Seungkwan smiled. "I know. Everyone is. I know you're not used to being around with Mr. Lee so I dragged you out," he replied. "You owe me so much, hyung."

Jisoo smiled. "Yeah, I don't know how I could make it up to you."

Seungkwan chuckled, and shook his head. "Just a burger would do."

Jisoo nodded. "Sure, let's go, I'll treat you."

Seungkwan beamed. "Any questions? I'm accepting some, as long as I can answer them."