Chapter 17: Scream

Singto handed the bag of icy treats to Godt. "Could you put them in the freezer, Nong? This might take some time to explain. The ice cream would probably melt by then."

"Sure," Godt agreed.

"Actually, take Krist and Bas with you. I don't think their presence would help the current situation. Maybe give them some ice cream to keep them occupied."

"All right." Godt nodded. "Holler if you need my help to hold down the fearful muscles."

"There's no need to act tough around me," Singto mocked.

"Hey, I don't have to act. I am tough." Godt flexed his right arm to show Singto his muscles.

"Yes, so tough that you fainted the instant you saw how beautiful I was," Bas added with the roll of his eyes. "You didn't even bother to scream or struggle."

Bas's words made Singto chuckle as he walked over to crouch down in front of Max and Tul.

"You're not getting any ice cream," Godt threatened as he flaunted the bag that he was holding.

At that moment, Bas vanished and reappeared seconds later with two Popsicles in his hands. Waving them at Godt, he stuck out his tongue at the man.

"You little thief!" Godt barked.

"Who told you to taunt me?" Opening one of them, Bas handed it to Krist and the bunny licked it adorably.

"Mm..." Krist hummed. "Sweet."

Bas smiled and removed the wrapper for his own treat and started eating it. "It's tasty."

"H-He..." Max pointed a shaky finger at Bas and babbled a whole lot of inaudible words.

"It's okay, Max," Singto reassured. "They are harmless. You don't have to be afraid."

As if it was a delayed reaction of some sort, Max let out a high pitched scream.

"O-kay." Singto covered the ear that was closest to Max and arched his body slightly away. "That's...completely unnecessary."

"I think the walls are shaking," Godt commented.

"No," Bas informed. "That's just Krist clinging onto you because that one on the floor is making a loud noise."

"Oh." Godt realized that Bas was right. "P'Singto, couldn't you stop him from emitting that racket?"

"Um..." Singto thought for a moment and quickly covered Max's mouth with his hand. That only resulted in Singto screaming in his place, because Max had bitten his hand in protest.

Hearing Singto's cry in pain, Krist instantly released Godt and went over to his love. "Sing!" He patted Max's face gently. "Let go. You are hurting Sing."

Max was strangely obedient and did what Krist requested.

"Is Sing okay?" Krist saw the bloody teeth marks on Singto's hand and lightly blew on it.

"I'm all right, Krist," Singto answered and glanced back at Max. "Don't worry. They aren't going to hurt you."

"He..." Max took in a deep breath and managed to calm down a bit. "He vanished into thin air right before my eyes."