Chapter 23: Gone

Godt stumbled a couple steps once he felt his feet touch the ground. Swatting Bas's hands away, he angrily pointed a shaky finger at the fairy. "W-What are you trying to do?" Quickly checking to see if all his limbs were still attached, Godt grumbled. "I'm a chef. I need my arms to cook. Are you trying to ruin me?"

"Don't worry," Bas reassured with a chuckle. "You're still in one piece."

"That's just by luck. What if your powers slip and I lose a limb? You tell me that you like me. If you really like me, why would you even take that risk?"

Bas stared at him with wide eyes; his smile immediately faded. "Are you really mad at me?"

"Are you stupid?" Godt yelled.

"I don't believe that I am," Bas responded. "Why are you asking?"

"I wasn't asking."

"What?"

"That's what I'm calling you."

"You think that I'm stupid?"

"Yeah." Godt barked.

"Oh." Bas took a step toward Godt only to have the taller man take a step back.

"Why are you following me anyway?"

"You know why."

"Couldn't you leave me alone?" Godt demanded. "Aren't there rules for fairies to not disturb the lives of humans?"

"Do you...hate me?"

Godt sighed and replied. "If that's what it takes, then yes."

"What it takes for what?" Bas blinked innocently at him.

"What it takes for you to leave me alone!" There was a slight regret tugging at his conscience when the words came out of his mouth.

"I see." Bas lowered his gaze to the ground and when he looked up, Godt had already left. What is this feeling? He pressed a palm over his heart. Why does my heart hurt so much? What...? Reaching up to wipe the wet droplets trailing down his face, Bas glimpsed down at his hand. Are these tears? Am I...crying?

***

"Sing," Krist rubbed at his eyes. "Krist is sleepy."

"Did you brush your teeth yet?"

"Yes. See?" Krist beamed to show Singto his teeth. "All clean."

"That's good." Singto petted Krist's head. "Go to bed first. I'll join you after I shower."

"Okay." Krist nodded.

Singto smiled and went to the bathroom. By the time he was ready for bed, Krist was already asleep. Getting into bed, Singto pulled up the comforter for Krist and switched off the lights.

"Krist loves Sing," Krist muttered in his sleep.

He's so cute. Singto put an arm over Krist and closed his eyes. "Good night, Krist."

***

Godt got up from the bed and walked over to look out the window. Where is he? Walking out to the living room, he gave his apartment a quick glance in search of Bas. Was I too hard on him earlier? He can't blame me for getting angry. I could have lost my arms or legs. The way I reacted is understandable, right? Whatever. I'm going back to bed. He could stay out the whole night, if he wants to. He's not my problem. Godt huffed and returned to his room to slip back into bed.